• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whats the deal with month long contracts?"

Collapse

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by curtis View Post
    I've done several one monthers and I love them as a change mixed in, go in no worries, in, done and out and bank account topped up! A job I had last year started as just a month and ended up being 4 in the end so you never know where they may lead.

I would never turn down a month job if I was out of work just as its just a month or anything seen as very short term. Work is work in my book and a month is a months worth of money in my pocket. I do tend to try and make it obvious on my CV why it was short as normally its to cover some specific issue or reason, that's to cover against stupid agents/clients that see these as an issue or problem in some way.
    WHS

I usually explain them as "brought in as a senior developer to help with a project in its final stages", which usually means fixing all the bugs that the permies have created before go-live, but you can jazz it up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    And of course, currently, you've got a lot of clients who seem to want to extend for one month only. Really annoying.

Seems to be a mixture of not wanting to commit to all their money in one go, and delusion that things are going to get completed in that month.

Leave a comment:

• curtis
    replied
    I've done several one monthers and I love them as a change mixed in, go in no worries, in, done and out and bank account topped up! A job I had last year started as just a month and ended up being 4 in the end so you never know where they may lead.

I would never turn down a month job if I was out of work just as its just a month or anything seen as very short term. Work is work in my book and a month is a months worth of money in my pocket. I do tend to try and make it obvious on my CV why it was short as normally its to cover some specific issue or reason, that's to cover against stupid agents/clients that see these as an issue or problem in some way.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I've done a few one month gigs, usually in an interim Security Manager role or similar. No specific work to do, but they need someone there for compliance if the tulip hits the fan and security decisions need to be made, or to provide security input into project planning, dealing with specific issues etc.

Others have involved one off pieces of work around auditing specific systems or services.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    What is the point, I know as a contractor we are supposed to be able to hit the ground running, but realistically what can be achieved in a month?
    Well you can have a nice new wife, age & legality not an issue

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Did a 2 day contract once.

Finished it in one day & did myself out of a day's pay.
    Did a half day contract once.

Which took about 5 hours to get there, and 5 hours back.

Client went bust so I saw about 25 quid three years later.

By which time I wasn't trading under the name the cheque came for so it was useless.

That was a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Very true, but surely every contract is like this?
    Well, yes, but I mean a longer contract is more useful from an earning perspective whereas the short contracts' value is in the networking opportunity they provide rather than the cash they bring in.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I always look at these sort of contracts as a chance to get my name known at a client. Go in, do a good job, leave your contact details with the PM/hiring manager, then next time they have a chunk of work they might give you a call. Can lead to something much longer in the future or the chance to go direct.
    Very true, but surely every contract is like this?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    23 months and 29 days.

WFH after the first eight months, so I didn't have to worry about the 24 month rule on my very occasional jaunts to ClientCo HQ

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    What is the point, I know as a contractor we are supposed to be able to hit the ground running, but realistically what can be achieved in a month?
    I've had a few two week gigs where I've undertaken remedial performance tuning or one off data archiving or other solving of specific operational problems. They are usually pretty good fun.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I think if there is a distinct and defined work package then a month contract is fine.
    whs

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    A months worth of work?

If you hired a plumber for a few days you would expect him to do 2 days worth of work, why would you think any different for a contractor?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Did a 3 monther that got extended monthly for a year.

The resulting paperwork nearly borked the filing cabinet.
    This, but it turned into two years

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I always look at these sort of contracts as a chance to get my name known at a client. Go in, do a good job, leave your contact details with the PM/hiring manager, then next time they have a chunk of work they might give you a call. Can lead to something much longer in the future or the chance to go direct.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I have done one monthers, but they tended to fall into two distinct categories:
    • Installing new systems
    • Performing major OS upgrades

I also did quite a bit of X days at a time, off purchase orders rather than continuous contracts. This was mainly bug fixing and enhancement requests.

Like original PM said, well defined work.
    Last edited by Sysman; 15 April 2013, 10:31.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X