• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Is this true?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this true?"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    It is not just about modified or GM seeds. They have also patented bean seeds that have been used in Mexico for hundreds of years. By doing so Monsanto are able to collect royalties on produce from Mexico. Mexico stopped exporting beans to the US.
    Also, Congress passed the Monsanto Bill that makes it impossible to sue them for any damages consequential or otherwise for GM products.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I can see how you could have a patent on the cocktail of chemicals that you add to perfectly good natural foods to make them more profitable but I think you'd have a hard time arguing the case for patent on a potato - as Sir Terry used to say - "Is it just me" The world seems to have gone slightly bonkers just lately

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The patent bit is true, sort of. Obama put a law in place which gives greater protection to Monsanto and it's patents, so the whole fuss is very yank-centric at the moment.

A less hysterical view here: Monsanto, steaks, and chefs: Intellectual property and food | Washington Times Communities

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Avaaz - Monsanto vs. Mother Earth

It sounds so ridiculous and hysterical that I don't believe that this is the whole story. Monsanto is patenting GMO vegetables but the ones already in existence are just there, aren't they?
    First hit in Google for grain patents

They don't want farmers to save seeds from the previous year's crop.

And that includes the third world farmers who can least afford to pay.

P.S. These companies were what Blair was fighting for when he was telling us that GM foods were OK

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

It sounds so ridiculous and hysterical that I don't believe that this is the whole story. Monsanto is patenting GMO vegetables but the ones already in existence are just there, aren't they?
    I would love to see Monsanto in court with God on that one.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Won't be long before somebody patents sex. It will cost us a licence fee of $32 a time.

http://www.xoggoth.org/pages/xoggoth8.html#patent

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    started a topic Is this true?

Is this true?

Working...
X