• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "buying a new PC...."

Collapse

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    It's better to buy a cheap dell and run it to death and throw
    than buying expensive hardware which will be obsolete anyway in a year
    Yeah spot on. I just flogged a laptop that cost me £900 last August for £350. Cheap tulip depreciates slower because there is less cash to lose.

Oh and don't buy Dell laptops - they are all tulip now. Desktops only!

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Try this: iBuzz

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    You must have a realy realy realy small willy!
    I put it to you that if you can visualise inserting your piece into a set of ipod headphones then it must be miniscule.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Is is worth waiting for Vista??

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by interested
    There aren't really any obvious insertion points on a set of ipod headphones...
    You must have a realy realy realy small willy!

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    You must have a realy small willy.
    There aren't really any obvious insertion points on a set of ipod headphones...

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Thought you were going for a dump? or are you posting from trap 3 on a wireless connection?
    Very good Dave! Made me chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Thought you were going for a dump? or are you posting from trap 3 on a wireless connection?

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    It's better to buy a cheap dell and run it to death and throw
    than buying expensive hardware which will be obsolete anyway in a year

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by interested
    Reliable?!

Writing this on a 6 month old Dell laptop that frankly is now starting to resemble a pile of crap. The USB slots don't seem to now generate enough power to run some attachments, like HD's. Customer support is dire.

Am thinking about the new Merom-powered Macbook Pro in a couple of months time. I had a go on a Mac the other day and was impressed, not least that it could runs Windows seemingly a lot better than my Dell. My experience of Apple's customer support is pretty good as well - they couriered me a new pair of ipod headphones, for free, in less than 24 hours when I rang them up to tell them that I'd buggered my existing ones.
    You must have a realy small willy.

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    Just grab a dell. Cheap, very reliable and no hassle with RMAing individual parts when something ****s up.

Reliable?!

Writing this on a 6 month old Dell laptop that frankly is now starting to resemble a pile of crap. The USB slots don't seem to now generate enough power to run some attachments, like HD's. Customer support is dire.

Am thinking about the new Merom-powered Macbook Pro in a couple of months time. I had a go on a Mac the other day and was impressed, not least that it could runs Windows seemingly a lot better than my Dell. My experience of Apple's customer support is pretty good as well - they couriered me a new pair of ipod headphones, for free, in less than 24 hours when I rang them up to tell them that I'd buggered my existing ones.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Just grab a dell. Cheap, very reliable and no hassle with RMAing individual parts when something ****s up.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Plus the time sourcing the components you want, waiting for them to arrive. Sending back any that arn't as ordered or DOA. Waiting for replacements...

Trying to find drivers that actually work

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Yeah but there's always one bit that doesn't work and it's always a hassle and for every one that takes two hours to build, another takes two weeks...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Building a PC takes about 2hrs from start to finish. Not exactly a great deal of time to waste for a computer to the exact spec you want (I build mine for overclocking).

Plus the time sourcing the components you want, waiting for them to arrive. Sending back any that arn't as ordered or DOA. Waiting for replacements...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X