• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why Thatcher is hated"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    These were interesting

How Britain changed under Margaret Thatcher. In 15 charts | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Any supposed positive changes Thatcher did were completely undone by the thousand years of darkness of Labour administration, which was inevitable reaction to her work.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    Close them yes, feck the unions, but gradual with plenty of alternatives, programmes, training and encourage private sector to come in to take the place. This has probably happened now in a lot of places but it should have been planned much better so it was seamless.
    Having had some bench time in Switzerland I can tell you that they do pay earning related dole money which gibes you a cushion and keeps you able to do networking.

Longer than 3 months on that and they will give you training too.

The last time I was unemployed in the UK I had a training course lined up but the sodding dole office would not allow me to do that: "Not available for work" was the phrase they used, and the tossers would only give me a fraction in benfeit of what I had paid in tax and NI per week over the few previous years.

It was my conclusion at that time tat the benefits system was set up in the time when there was nearly full employment with the aim of filling factories full of workers.

Unfortunately the UK welfare system has not adapted to what was happening even 20 years ago.

"Go stack shelves in your local supermarket" is not the answer for someone whose IT skills might not fit the nom du jour, and doesn't bring any wealth to the country.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    One of Thatchers great strengths was that she had no truck with the vested interests of the ruling and priviliged elite.
    Please explain to me why she thought it was necessary to put my mortgage up from 12% to 15% (a rise of 25%) from January 1980, and then again raise it from about 10% to 16.1% in the early 90s.

The first time around it caused enough pain that I couldn't furnish my first house properly.

The second time demolished my then very adequate warchest because corporates were cancelling projects left right and centre. It became extremely difficult to find work that actually paid on time or before the clients went bankrupt

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Briefcase W**ker!!
    Fresh out of the West Country and never having been to London before I was introduced to the delights of the city by some mates of a mate from Dagenham.

As we walked across London Bridge a group of older lads spotted by briefcase. My mum had given it to me and to be honest it was more of a man bag. It was looking back very very gay. As they passed a couple sniggered and then shouted back taking the piss 'nice bag'!.

Shocked and needing an immediate retort my brain shot into action but not before my mouth which shouted 'Fook you, you black bastards!'

Not that I have any idea where the said racist retort came from. It was more of an involuntary Tourette's, not a single person in their group was black. Or Asian. They were all very white barrow boy traders. The lads looked back confused looking at each others trying to work out what I shouted. My new mates looked at be even more confused. I was confused.

This was broken by the sounds of 'right you cnuts!' And my new mates of 'leggit' as we belted across the bridge, gay briefcase in hand with a group of burly blokes behind.

'That mouth of yours is going to get you in trouble one day' I was told later. It never has.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'm happy that I ... had a briefcase
    Briefcase W**ker!!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And dont forget SASGURU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjrO9JmdzRQ

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I for one am happy with the opportunities afforded to me my Maggie. I'm happy that I went to Uni, that I got a job in the city when I left, that I was able to afford to buy property, I told Sid when I saw him and bought those to, drunk in wine bars, had a briefcase, flash suit, low tax etc.

I am one of Thatchers children and I'm proud to be British.

Da da da da da daaaaahhh
    da da da da da daaaaaaahhhh!
    And I am happy with 20% of whatever she enabled you to earn MF

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I assume that is tongue in cheek.....

On another note I was listening to Radio 2 and one guy was on about how he went to see some union leaders/shop stewards and asked them about their business plan....

He was laughed out of the room - it seems that the management of certain unionised industries had to try and market whatever the shop stewards deemed was going to be produced - regardless of whether it was marketable or not.

Almost seemed that the unions/shop stewards could not see the relationship between a productive workforce creating a marketable product and there fore creating a viable long term business plan which would go on to create longer term job security. They seemed to think that company existed to give them jobs.

Probably another side to that story too I suppose.
    only the bit about call centres

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Rumour also has it that Scargill asked the USSR and Colonel Gaddafi to fund the miners strike.

probably not playing fair but hey so be it.

may just be an urban myth that though
    Fuel to the fire

How Scargill begged the Kremlin to fund miners' fight with Thatcher | Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I for one am happy with the opportunities afforded to me my Maggie. I'm happy that I went to Uni, that I got a job in the city when I left, that I was able to afford to buy property, I told Sid when I saw him and bought those to, drunk in wine bars, had a briefcase, flash suit, low tax etc.

Da da da da da daaaaahhh

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Da da da da da daaaaahhh

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    rumour also has it that during that period of the miner strikes the biggest spy/bugging operation since world war two was in place - e.g. the NUM phones were tapped, offices bugged etc...

Rumour also has it that Scargill asked the USSR and Colonel Gaddafi to fund the miners strike.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    rumour also has it that during that period of the miner strikes the biggest spy/bugging operation since world war two was in place - e.g. the NUM phones were tapped, offices bugged etc...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    what else should she have done? The unions only wanted to fight her and give away nothing so they were not about to agree any compromises.
    She actually started out quite conciliatory toward the unions, compromising with the nurses and prepared to compromise with the miners. It's only when Scargill and co. decided they'd try and bring the government to its knees that she really became quite ruthless. The NUM had to be broken as it had brought down governments before and was rabidly left wing, and if an industry had to close to do it, then so be it. Even Neil Kinnock recognizes that if there's one person to blame for the mining industry being closed down, it's Arthur Scargill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X