• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best place to put your warchest?"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's great when it works. It's when it goes wrong when customer service is really tested.. and Santander have a reputation for failing miserable. Only pipped by HMRC this year I believe.
    And you'll never guess who HMRC use for their Bill pay service.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    To be honest I've had no problems with them, have had my mortgage with them for a while now and can't complain. And as for it being a Spanish back I don't see what the problem is?, am I not covered by the UK Gov deposit guarantee (£85k = way more than my warchest as all the extra £££ goes to paying off the mortgage or is spent by the missus ) in the same way as I am when banking with Natwest (and lets face it Santander are in better shape than RBS!).
    It's great when it works. It's when it goes wrong when customer service is really tested.. and Santander have a reputation for failing miserable. Only pipped by HMRC this year I believe.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I hope Santander's customer service has improved. It was crap.
    To be honest I've had no problems with them, have had my mortgage with them for a while now and can't complain. And as for it being a Spanish back I don't see what the problem is?, am I not covered by the UK Gov deposit guarantee (£85k = way more than my warchest as all the extra £££ goes to paying off the mortgage or is spent by the missus ) in the same way as I am when banking with Natwest (and lets face it Santander are in better shape than RBS!).

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Am in the process of moving my Natwest current account paying cr@p interest to Santander's 123, the cashback alone makes it worthwhile never mind the 3% interest on top. And not banking with those RBS crooks/clowns is a bonus
    I hope Santander's customer service has improved. It was crap.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Am in the process of moving my Natwest current account paying cr@p interest to Santander's 123, the cashback alone makes it worthwhile never mind the 3% interest on top. And not banking with those RBS crooks/clowns is a bonus
    Spanish bank eh?

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    I read a newspaper article that said when considering where to put your savings, you should consider the rate of return you are looking for, the level of risk you are prepared to accept, and how accessible you want your money to be.

Well, I'd like a nice old-fashioned savings account, with very low risk, easy access to what is after all my money, and a modest return over inflation.

Not too much to ask, surely?
    http://www.bankofcyprus.co.uk/Business-Banking/savings/

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    I read a newspaper article that said when considering where to put your savings, you should consider the rate of return you are looking for, the level of risk you are prepared to accept, and how accessible you want your money to be.

Well, I'd like a nice old-fashioned savings account, with very low risk, easy access to what is after all my money, and a modest return over inflation.

Not too much to ask, surely?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Tuck it into the knickers of a stripper.
    Hookers but not horses. Aka wine wimmin and song.

Remember that the wages of sin is death, but the hours are good.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Stocks and shares.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Tuck it into the knickers of a stripper.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    My Lad has loads in some stuff with F&C - been doing really well over the past year.
    Otherwise I'd say that the only other option is market trading - but you have to invest in the companies. Even these ETF are sucking these days.
    Option three is in your mattress.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    My current plan is to get all the expensive jobs done on the house, new central heating and a garage roof have come in with surprisingly low quotes, probably makes sense to get these done when tradesmen are struggling for work.
    That was certainly the trick in the early nineties. A former colleague got his rather large barn re-roofed and turned into offices for about 5 grand.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Bitcoins. As Cyprus Implodes, Bitcoin Interest Explodes | Fox Business

What could possibly go wrong?
    One Bitcoin is now worth around $73.75, up 84% from just two weeks ago when it was worth around $40.

Read more: As Cyprus Implodes, Bitcoin Interest Explodes | Fox Business
    The cynic in me sees that correcting itself back down to $40.

Saying that, Thomas Cook continues to climb when I wouldn't invest at 80p, maybe I am risk adverse after-all.

My current plan is to get all the expensive jobs done on the house, new central heating and a garage roof have come in with surprisingly low quotes, probably makes sense to get these done when tradesmen are struggling for work.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Under the mattress?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X