• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Weather....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Weather...."

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Good stuff however -

And are you prepared to do the same for the return journey ?

I would have opted for a hotel in dublin and a few glasses of the dark stuff
    I had a few reason to do it, car insurance abroad running out, stuff to bring back, prebooked plane tix for next few weeks but overwhelmingly my sacks are full.

If worst comes to worst I'd rather be stranded at home than there, a few days off would suit me fine!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Nowt in cloggers, nice and sunny, a tad windy is all.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Supposed to be going to Oxford this morning. Can anyone do me an Oxford weather report? Thinking I'll train/bus rather than drive...
    Good inch or so of snow on the ground here. But I'd bet the main roads will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And I've got an interview Bradford/Leeds way on Monday.
    Commiserations. Hopefully something else will come up :

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And I've got an interview Bradford/Leeds way on Monday.

Deep joy.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Will I get home today/tmrw?

1. 13:30 Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead Ferry cancelled yesterday, Stena put me on 21:15 Dublin Port - Holyhead arrives 00:45

2. Rough seas mean delays to that but at moment still sailing.

3. Heavy rain here in Dublin, tho seems to be easing off atm...

4. Heavy rain along the A55 North Wales

5. Heavy snow M62 Huddersfield on to Leeds

I could stay here I know but I don't want to!

Dooooommmeedddd.....
    Global warming init

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Probably about 5 inches here in the High Peak, missus went out early this morning but gave up, was not impressed when I said her driving could be at fault as opposed to all the ice and snow....

Still like troopers the trains are running so we are heading into Manchester on the train for a day out

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Well, it is snowing heavily in swindon here, so I cannot imagine Oxford to be much different!

Whoa! What happened there?

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Supposed to be going to Oxford this morning. Can anyone do me an Oxford weather report? Thinking I'll train/bus rather than drive...
    Well, it is snowing heavily in swindon here, so I cannot imagine Oxford to be much different!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Weather report just in

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Made it!

Stuff
    Good stuff however -

And are you prepared to do the same for the return journey ?

I would have opted for a hotel in dublin and a few glasses of the dark stuff

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It's fricking snowing in Hampshire! WTF!?!?!

HAARP. Mark my words. It's HARRP!

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=24036
    Last edited by MarillionFan; 23 March 2013, 07:32.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Made it!

Bumped off three ferries due to cancellations, Stena moved me onto Irish Ferries 20:55 from Dublin Port, arrived Holyhead 1:00am, 40 mins late.

Wet, wind, wet, wind, ice, then around Flint, a horrendous blizzard, 20mph, RWD, 3.6ltrs, shiiiting myself about venturing 1cm out of the minimal ruts. Nearly gave up and dodged into a hotel, but prolly would be same in morning, so pressed on like the True Brit I am. A Bob would have just sat down and perished in the snow.

Got worse before it got better but after Frodsham things improved and up to Oldham M62 all fine, them more blizzards, one lane, two ruts but no traffic so a spin wouldn't be a disaster - having said that many cars embedded in the barriers and indeed, on the A55 an arctic on it's side and Penmaenmawr.

Brighouse things get even worse but I know I can make it now if I concentrate and don't collapse and fold like a Frenchie, onto M606 and as it's empty with no discernible ruts and I know roughly where the lanes are, I give the Detroit V6 some welly and it's fine, very well behaved, not tail happy at all.

Into Bradford, for I live in West Leeds and it's well snowed up - no gritter been here, no problems until I attempt to turn right onto Leeds Road and it's oppo lock all the way - weeeee! Easily controlled and such fun, I understand why SAS likes his 1986 Scirocco GT so much! Had new tyres on the CTS, much better than those old bald ones.

A few more whoooo's and I'm home, 4:56, buzzing now, might have a wee drinky, I won't sleep now plus I had a four hour old man kip on the bpat....

How did England go on?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Snowing here in W Manchester

Leave a comment:

Working...
X