• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Parking - Grrrr

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Parking - Grrrr"

Collapse

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Buy a motorcycle...
    If he ends up in Canary Wharf, you still have to pay for motorbike parking!!! Bar stewards.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    OP - just suck it up and pay for parking.
    If it was part of his decision to take the contract then its reasonable to quibble. Probably not enough to walk.

Its not a lot of money but I would if it really affected me quote it as a reason for refusing a renewal. I'd definitely want a raise to cover it.

I might also leave right on time to get to my Vehicle in good time for an evening appointment just when they need me to do a bit of free overtime.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Happened to me in Dartford. I had the choice of parking a mile away and hoofing it, or leaving.
    I walked

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Why are you assuming the fact he cant use the car park as a nice cheap IR35 indicator.

The OP just said he cant use it. Doesnt mention whether its because he is a contractor, whether its full or if permies have been affected.

OP - just suck it up and pay for parking.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
    So I took up a contract at a client, where parking was provided on site, free of charge.

2 months into a 4 month gig, and I've been told that I can no longer park in the car park. But there is one over the road for £100 per month.

I only work form site 10 days a month.

Ok, £100 isnt a lot - but isnt that beside the point?

Anythign I can do?
    Hang on - surely as a contractor any perks like this are a bonus and you can't stamp your feet like a permie and demand you get treated fairly? As someone else said, I'd be happy a bit because its a slight non-IR35 if permies can park and you can't.

I worked somewhere for a consultancy company (as a permie) once on client site long term (2 years). No sub-contractors allowed to use car park. Permies only. Cardiff city centre parking hell.

Its not unusual.....

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

A real contractor would just drive through the barrier and buy a new car everyday!

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I had the same a couple of contracts ago. They had automatic barriers. I drove up to the exit barrier, switched the suspension to low position and drove forward, once enough of the bonnet was under the barrier it with detect it and open.
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Erm, getting off the car park isnt the issue, is it?

FFS, tell me you're joking?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I had the same a couple of contracts ago. They had automatic barriers. I drove up to the exit barrier, switched the suspension to low position and drove forward, once enough of the bonnet was under the barrier it with detect it and open.
    Erm, getting off the car park isnt the issue, is it?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Find someone who lives en-route and park at their house and car-share in, give them £5 a day.
    Ahh... reminds me parkatmyhouse.com

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I had the same a couple of contracts ago. They had automatic barriers. I drove up to the exit barrier, switched the suspension to low position and drove forward, once enough of the bonnet was under the barrier it detect it and opened.
    Last edited by Paddy; 21 March 2013, 14:25.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
    So I took up a contract at a client, where parking was provided on site, free of charge.

2 months into a 4 month gig, and I've been told that I can no longer park in the car park. But there is one over the road for £100 per month.

I only work form site 10 days a month.

Ok, £100 isnt a lot - but isnt that beside the point?

Anythign I can do?
    Find someone who lives en-route and park at their house and car-share in, give them £5 a day.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Die on a motorcycle...
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Buy a motorcycle...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    When I was at the last place they removed the free coffee. This cost me £10 a month, but I gritted and completed the contract.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    In Windsor (where the parking is a PITA) I used to park outside of the town where it was free and walk a mile or so in. Could you do something similar?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X