• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BBC having problems with software"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I think you prob mean tranquillisers
    I was thinking of something like ketamine, which sounds like a cross between the two and is probably easily available on the street.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It won't be long before they can automatically diagnose tourrettes using a machine that listens in while you're on hold.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard for an enterprising dole scounger to fool - Just neck a couple of anti-depressant tablets before phoning them.
    I think you prob mean tranquillisers

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    A quick google elsewhere suggests the technology is also being sold to the Politicos as a way to cut fraud with a system that alerts investigators when a caller sounds nervous ...
    Shouldn't be too hard for an enterprising dole scounger to fool - Just neck a couple of anti-depressant tablets before phoning them.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg
    Cheeky bastard!

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    HMRC are at it too:
    ... also looking at some new ways to deliver service ... a new form of telephone answering where you say something and the machine works out what you want...
    BBC News - HMRC tax call handling 'must sharpen up' (mentioned about 40s into the video clip)

A quick google elsewhere suggests the technology is also being sold to the Politicos as a way to cut fraud with a system that alerts investigators when a caller sounds nervous - Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg. | AccountingWEB

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I throught this would be a a thread about their awful Iplayer software.

What's wrong with iPlayer? I use it regularly without any problems.

Edit: I use the web version, PS3 and iOS versions, all without any issue.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    Yep, on any ad-hoc speech rec, you're pretty much a lost cause. As are most people with non-standard accents.

That's why I find it much more rewarding to work on profile-based speech rec these days.
    I thought of you when I saw this:

Apple Siri can't cope with "Chip butty" in Scottish

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I throught this would be a a thread about their awful Iplayer software.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    Yep, on any ad-hoc speech rec, you're pretty much a lost cause. As are most people with non-standard accents. ..
    Including most humans

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I hate voice technology.

I have some kind of hybrid English Welsh accent (almost got beaten up on 3 separate occaisions in Wales because they thought I was English, despite living in Wales my entire life), it seems to vary by word. I also speak quite quickly. I have been mistaken from everything from Scottish to Austrailian to African.

I have given up with the voice recognition unit in my car, with Siri (although that might just be rubbish) and I have never tried the Android google search thing but I am sure that will have no bloody idea what I am saying as well!!
    Yep, on any ad-hoc speech rec, you're pretty much a lost cause. As are most people with non-standard accents.

That's why I find it much more rewarding to work on profile-based speech rec these days.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I hate voice technology.

I have some kind of hybrid English Welsh accent (almost got beaten up on 3 separate occaisions in Wales because they thought I was English, despite living in Wales my entire life), it seems to vary by word. I also speak quite quickly. I have been mistaken from everything from Scottish to Austrailian to African.

I have given up with the voice recognition unit in my car, with Siri (although that might just be rubbish) and I have never tried the Android google search thing but I am sure that will have no bloody idea what I am saying as well!!

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If they did have a problem they wouldn't go public with it.
    My thoughts exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Those chaps at Menwith Hill don't seem to have a problem with that kind of stuff but that said, the NSA has a bigger budget.
    If they did have a problem they wouldn't go public with it.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    They deserved each other.
    It's remarkable how much BS gets sold to gullible ejits in terms of speech technology. Take the Nemesysco Voice Stress analysis stuff for example. Lots of banks and insurance companies bought it (and many are still using it). Just like with your average polygraph, there's simply no science behind it (few good posts/articles here: Nemesysco | Phonetics at Stockholm University Blog).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X