• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC having problems with software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If they did have a problem they wouldn't go public with it.
    My thoughts exactly.

Comment

I hate voice technology.

I have some kind of hybrid English Welsh accent (almost got beaten up on 3 separate occaisions in Wales because they thought I was English, despite living in Wales my entire life), it seems to vary by word. I also speak quite quickly. I have been mistaken from everything from Scottish to Austrailian to African.

I have given up with the voice recognition unit in my car, with Siri (although that might just be rubbish) and I have never tried the Android google search thing but I am sure that will have no bloody idea what I am saying as well!!
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I hate voice technology.

I have some kind of hybrid English Welsh accent (almost got beaten up on 3 separate occaisions in Wales because they thought I was English, despite living in Wales my entire life), it seems to vary by word. I also speak quite quickly. I have been mistaken from everything from Scottish to Austrailian to African.

I have given up with the voice recognition unit in my car, with Siri (although that might just be rubbish) and I have never tried the Android google search thing but I am sure that will have no bloody idea what I am saying as well!!
        Yep, on any ad-hoc speech rec, you're pretty much a lost cause. As are most people with non-standard accents.

That's why I find it much more rewarding to work on profile-based speech rec these days.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
          Yep, on any ad-hoc speech rec, you're pretty much a lost cause. As are most people with non-standard accents. ..
          Including most humans
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I throught this would be a a thread about their awful Iplayer software.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
              Yep, on any ad-hoc speech rec, you're pretty much a lost cause. As are most people with non-standard accents.

That's why I find it much more rewarding to work on profile-based speech rec these days.
              I thought of you when I saw this:

Apple Siri can't cope with "Chip butty" in Scottish
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I throught this would be a a thread about their awful Iplayer software.

What's wrong with iPlayer? I use it regularly without any problems.

Edit: I use the web version, PS3 and iOS versions, all without any issue.

Comment

HMRC are at it too:
                  ... also looking at some new ways to deliver service ... a new form of telephone answering where you say something and the machine works out what you want...
                  BBC News - HMRC tax call handling 'must sharpen up' (mentioned about 40s into the video clip)

A quick google elsewhere suggests the technology is also being sold to the Politicos as a way to cut fraud with a system that alerts investigators when a caller sounds nervous - Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg. | AccountingWEB

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                    Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg
                    Cheeky bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                      A quick google elsewhere suggests the technology is also being sold to the Politicos as a way to cut fraud with a system that alerts investigators when a caller sounds nervous ...
                      Shouldn't be too hard for an enterprising dole scounger to fool - Just neck a couple of anti-depressant tablets before phoning them.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X