• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Permies escalating

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permies escalating"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I had a run in with a permie (one of those "daddy's princess" types), who thought I was just a lowly developer. She complained about me to her boss when I wouldn't do some work she wanted doing. That boss escalated it to the CIO, who found a minion to put a flea in her ear.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Damn right.

No payee, no workee.

I remember the philips pager place in Cambridge wanted "commitment" from contractors & they wouldn't pay overtime either.

It was not a meeting of minds.

ZeitPater told me not to bother going there for interview & he was right.
    Total Bollacks that is. I'm commited yeh for the time they pay me and commited to my companies income....

I think I'll walk into tesco next time and tell them I expect them to be committed to my cause of filling my food cupboard for free.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Is that actually available? I want...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It's always the same root cause though. Lack of communication.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Thats a bargain we are trying to get a very simple E-commerce solution up and running - £5 million......

I think someone is on the take -- do you?
    What platform? Even a simple e-commerce website can become a monster if you've decided to use something like ATG to implement it.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    thing is all the pressure comes from the people at the top making decisions without understanding the impact and then acting like spoilt fooking brats when they cannot get everything they want now!

and then when you sit in meetings they seem to believe that by shouting things will change

some fookers gonna get a good dig at some point.

idiots!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    $1.5m to migrate a Lotus 123 spreadsheet to Microsoft Excel. A bargain in anyones book.
    Thats a bargain we are trying to get a very simple E-commerce solution up and running - £5 million......

I think someone is on the take -- do you?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Really tempted to say your lack of resourcing is not my problem but, of course, you can't say that.....
    My line is "if you need more resource, I can recommend someone."

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Got the same here now. PM here is going to 'escalate' something because its running past schedule and I haven't done it yet.

I've pointed that since other things have come in considered urgent and I've perfectly justified what I've been doing, then its not a surprise to me. I've also politely pointed that there is only so much time in the day.

Client seems to think that things get done regardless of hours. The way the permies get treated in terms of working long hours is nuts.

Really tempted to say your lack of resourcing is not my problem but, of course, you can't say that.....

Normally, I'm happy to work a few odd hours per week for free because they're pretty good. But not weekends for free and the buggers wont pay.
    Also, wife been pretty ill recently (and is pregnant) so client aint priority at the moment (and never is really).

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That's it. You're fired!
    You can't fire me, I'm a contractor

Should you wish to terminte the supply contract betweens yourselves and MyCo. Ltd that is of course your perogative subject to the usual contractual requirements.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I know we all had a pop about the whole Suityou sockie and bedwetting posts getting tedious, but I think you've gone a bit far the other way now.
    That's it. You're fired!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Always loved the concept of 'escalating' in companies. It's always a permie thing and as a contractor you're normally not on the receiving end of it. In the world of perm though there's always some people who think its big or clever.

And so goes the case this evening.

Having been asked to follow up with some middle manager who was making a lot of noise, escalating to the CFO I was asked to interject by my boss and the head of IT. So more than happy to find out what the noise was I set up a call with said manager and his team to discuss, requesting some background documentation.

With 5 minutes to go to the meeting said perm cancelled the meeting stating some bollocks about how he was wasting his time on this request, he'd discussed it four times before over the last year, was escalating and he wanted it NOW! Copying his boss.

Now I assume he thought he was talking to a mere underling because to be fair I never put my job title. I replied telling him in no uncertain terms that I had binned his request due to a failure to supply the correct information now and previously when asked and it was seriously unprofessional. I then copied my boss and head of IT, plus the CFO. I also put my job title which trumped him and his boss.

Four missed calls and three emails in five minutes. Corporate Top Trumps. Made me laugh. Lol.
    I know we all had a pop about the whole Suityou sockie and bedwetting posts getting tedious, but I think you've gone a bit far the other way now.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    ...I received an email from Finance asking why I'd only spent $20k of my agreed $1.5m budget so far.

Fooking fail.
    I'm sure there are a few of us here who can help remedy this situation for you?

Now where's my passport + US visa..

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Actually you're right about this permie lark. Not only have I failed to hire anyone in 3 months even though I can hire 5 permies And one contractor I received an email from Finance asking why I'd only spent $20k of my agreed $1.5m budget so far.

Fooking fail.
    $1.5m to migrate a Lotus 123 spreadsheet to Microsoft Excel. A bargain in anyones book.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    What a catch you are!

See
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1706131

Leave a comment:

Working...
X