• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Daily Wail wants EU to save children from window blind cords..."

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Just saying. I'd broken my first limb by the age of 3. And I didn't do it mincing about holding a "blankie"!!

Comfort blankets at 3...........tsk tsk........we can always hope for a happy outcome, but that trend would suggest an increased likelihood that he may develop into the same sort of insular, gurning, effete, "light-on-the-loafers", pigeon-chested, tactless, monotonous, fainthearted, shandypants as his father.

HTH BIKIW

So you were stupid enough to break a limb at 3? No surprise, then, your life has been on a downward slope every since.
    It's your kids I feel sorry for.
    With a knuckle-dragging, slack-jawed cretin for a father, its no surprise they'll only turn out to be suitable for cannon fodder or the more manual occupations.
    But have no fear, there will be still be a cognitive elite, from whom they may occasionally earn some spare cash.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Kiddicare - Pushchairs | Prams | Car Seats | Baby Equipment | Online Baby Shop

Expensive compared to normal gates but I guess if Mrs V is a childminder, it'll have plenty of use.
    Those are the new generation of the ones we have. Were £50 each when we bought them 10-13 years ago. Still going strong

we have these:

Discontinued products | Lascal Ltd

KiddyGuard-800

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Still does not beat the letter to me from the city council telling me to cut branches off my trees because one broke off when some kids were swinging on them. The kids managed to scale a 2 meter wall to get in the garden. I wrote and told the council I would cut the branches off providing they stuck them up their arse after I cut them off. They threatened to take me to court but backed out when I sent them photos of council trees in a nearby park.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Thoroughly recommend these:

KiddyGuard® Accent

had 2 of the older model for 10 years (Mrs V is a child minder) and though grubby still serviceable.

permanently fastened to the wall so no chance of them falling on them, no bars to get trapped in (kids tend to put their arms through normal bars and other kids/dogs then brush past with bad results) , you can retract so if Baby is asleep you can get the door back to normal use nice if you fancy a glass of wine or 3. Also the men will appreciate these as they don't bruise their bits as they go over.
    Kiddicare - Pushchairs | Prams | Car Seats | Baby Equipment | Online Baby Shop

Expensive compared to normal gates but I guess if Mrs V is a childminder, it'll have plenty of use.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Some pompous indignant waffle that showed a nerve had been touched...
    Just saying. I'd broken my first limb by the age of 3. And I didn't do it mincing about holding a "blankie"!!

Comfort blankets at 3...........tsk tsk........we can always hope for a happy outcome, but that trend would suggest an increased likelihood that he may develop into the same sort of insular, gurning, effete, "light-on-the-loafers", pigeon-chested, tactless, monotonous, fainthearted, shandypants as his father.

HTH BIKIW

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    I like the look of that. I'm mostly looking for a gate that'll keep the (friendly but overly curious) dogs from bugging the baby. Wonder if that would do.

Those normal ones with the bars tend to look awful. :-/
    Don't have dogs, suspect they may claw it, cats tend to do so.
    but we have always had cats and they haven't done that much damage.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

KiddyGuard® Accent

had 2 of the older model for 10 years (Mrs V is a child minder) and though grubby still serviceable.

permanently fastened to the wall so no chance of them falling on them, no bars to get trapped in (kids tend to put their arms through normal bars and other kids/dogs then brush past with bad results) , you can retract so if Baby is asleep you can get the door back to normal use nice if you fancy a glass of wine or 3. Also the men will appreciate these as they don't bruise their bits as they go over.
    I like the look of that. I'm mostly looking for a gate that'll keep the (friendly but overly curious) dogs from bugging the baby. Wonder if that would do.

Those normal ones with the bars tend to look awful. :-/

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Oh dear. "Blankies"???
    Sounds like he is a chip off the old block............
    FFS he's 3.
    I suppose when you were 3 you had camo on your face and were even then peeling spuds in preparation for your glorious military career? Twat.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

KiddyGuard® Accent

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    when we moved to the new house we decorated one of the ground floor receptions in white, kept the old knackered wood flooring, and installed one of these.
    There is nothing in that room except for an old sofa*, and he's allowed to write on the walls, mark the floor and generally do anything he wants. He's happy and we're happy.

*and all his toys
    Extra tall??!! Thats grand for Spod who is 6'8" not so much for me at 5'4"

We do need to get some gates though, currently the "gates" we have are fashioned from chairs on their side blocking access to the Kitchen - the oven is a low level one and he's determined to burn himself

He also loves pressing buttons on the washing machine, thank God that came with a child lock.

he's 3 so just about. But just in case he's not allowed to bring crayons out of his room. Only cuddly toys and blankies around the rest of the house.
    Its been a stress-reducing system so far.

PS forgot to say - removed all sockets too, apart from the one behind the sofa.
    But I better not get too complacent, if there's something dangerous he can do, he'll find it.
    Thats a great idea, I suppose it's a playroom for him and fab if you have the space. I saw a great idea on pinterest I think it was, but much more suitable for a smaller house/space and that was painting a wall or a cupboard end in Blackboard paint and letting them loose on that, I liked that idea.

As for finding something dangerous - indeed he searches dangerous stuff out just to make me have a heart attack, I'm sure of it.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Only cuddly toys and blankies around the rest of the house.
    Oh dear. "Blankies"???
    Sounds like he is a chip off the old block............

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Is he old enough to differentiate between rooms in which he is allowed to draw on the walls, and rooms in which he isn't?
    he's 3 so just about. But just in case he's not allowed to bring crayons out of his room. Only cuddly toys and blankies around the rest of the house.
    Its been a stress-reducing system so far.

PS forgot to say - removed all sockets too, apart from the one behind the sofa.
    But I better not get too complacent, if there's something dangerous he can do, he'll find it.
    Last edited by sasguru; 20 February 2013, 10:06.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Is he old enough to differentiate between rooms in which he is allowed to draw on the walls, and rooms in which he isn't?
    It doesn't matter, he is never allowed in other rooms

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    when we moved to the new house we decorated one of the ground floor receptions in white, kept the old knackered wood flooring, and installed one of these.
    There is nothing in that room except for an old sofa*, and he's allowed to write on the walls, mark the floor and generally do anything he wants. He's happy and we're happy.

*and all his toys

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    You could always tell your kids not to jump off the window ledge or ***** about with the blinds.

Just saying, like.
    Did you do what you were told as a kid? Or did you mean that telling them not to stops it being your fault when they disobey?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X