• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would You Skill Up For One Specific Gig?"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I will believe it when I see some '96 pomerol winging their way to me
    The 96 was the Cantemerle

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You should be nice to me anyway, I am bringing you red wine when I come back from Spain
    I will believe it when I see some '96 pomerol winging their way to me

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    So everyone has to be nice to SiMac if they want tickets to Jools Holland or Top Gear then
    You should be nice to me anyway, I am bringing you red wine when I come back from Spain

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    What sort of skill is it? I.e a tool like JIRA/Confluence for team working, or a full dev tool like Talend but not that many people use? That would make the difference to me. I wouldn't go away and learn a new dev tool for a job, but I'd go and read up on say how to set up Oracle App express. Likewise reading up on third party libraries to include in your dev environment is a lot less work than changing from developing on .net to objective c.

PS White City is an interesting place to work and you can get on the 1 show if you hang around in the courtyard. ;-) Plus, your pass will get you into TV Centre and you can do your own unguided tour of the studios or do lunch with the stars. Definite must do on the 'gigs list' if you get chance. Up at the white city building you might even spot Jezza having a fag or a bloke turn up in a Rolls with the number plate AMS1.
    So everyone has to be nice to SiMac if they want tickets to Jools Holland or Top Gear then

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    Strange, i have experience with royalty systems too. Publishing though, not broadcasting
    working in that team was like being staked out in the Arizona desert with a herd on incontinent bison stampeding over and sh!tting all over you
    but without the associated benefits

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    For as long as I have been contracting I have seen the same job advertised for what some would consider to be a prestigious client, lets say they are a Big Broadcasting Client in White City, now the reason why this catches my eye every time is they are asking for a very niche skill which does actually compliment my existing set but without experience its a bit of a non starter even if I tick every other box as they are adamant they use this niche technology.

Has anyone managed to skill up in their down time and blag their way to a niche product using the knowledge they already know from similar skills to talk the talk?
    What sort of skill is it? I.e a tool like JIRA/Confluence for team working, or a full dev tool like Talend but not that many people use? That would make the difference to me. I wouldn't go away and learn a new dev tool for a job, but I'd go and read up on say how to set up Oracle App express. Likewise reading up on third party libraries to include in your dev environment is a lot less work than changing from developing on .net to objective c.

PS White City is an interesting place to work and you can get on the 1 show if you hang around in the courtyard. ;-) Plus, your pass will get you into TV Centre and you can do your own unguided tour of the studios or do lunch with the stars. Definite must do on the 'gigs list' if you get chance. Up at the white city building you might even spot Jezza having a fag or a bloke turn up in a Rolls with the number plate AMS1.

Leave a comment:

• rob s
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    make sure its not a typo or HR special before working on learning it.
    So instead of Java he needs to be able to speak like a Jawa?

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    is it something to do with royalties payments ?

if so, put your tin hat on, put your gumshield in and pm me quick

Strange, i have experience with royalty systems too. Publishing though, not broadcasting

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It so niche I have never seen another job advert that ask's for it, other than the one with Auntie.
    is it something to do with royalties payments ?

if so, put your tin hat on, put your gumshield in and pm me quick

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Well there aren;t that many pre-op transexual coders out there, but if you're willing to walk the walk I'm fairly certain they'll take you.
    I know a couple actually although one moved into Project Management a while back.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It so niche I have never seen another job advert that ask's for it, other than the one with Auntie.
    Well there aren;t that many pre-op transexual coders out there, but if you're willing to walk the walk I'm fairly certain they'll take you.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    make sure its not a typo or HR special before working on learning it.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I certainly would if I was interested in the niche skill.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    complement
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I certainly would if I was interested in the niche skill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X