• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Serious medical question"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Best wishes to Mrs W.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    When my daughter was in recently on an assessment ward, waiting for her appendix to burst, the woman in the next bed had, I assume, something seriously wrong with her bowels. It sounded like she had recurring explosive diarrhoea with vast quantities of wind to boot. Thank goodness that after all my years of smoking I've mostly lost my sense of smell. My poor daughter nearly threw up more than once. At least the curtains were drawn. But dignity? The poor woman had none.

P.S. Glad to hear Mrs. Wurzel is improving
    Maybe she was being prepped for abdominal surgery and had been given a purgative to clear the decks so to speak

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Totally off topic but there's some research that says dementia is related to hearing loss. And loud music means hearing loss is far more common.
    Eh?

Speak up young lady!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You won't have them for long.

Dementia appears to be catching.
    Totally off topic but there's some research that says dementia is related to hearing loss. And loud music means hearing loss is far more common.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Didn't Tony Blair make that solemn promise when Labour first came to power in 1997, and again in 2001?

So how can there possibly still be any 15 years later? I don't get it.

Election promises are seldom carried out. Only if it costs nothing do they do something.

Labour instead decided to borrow billions and line the pockets of their cote voters in the name of tax credits and a plethora of hundred different benefits. That was the easiest way to ensure they were in power for some more time.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I thought they were supposed to be doing away with mixed wards.
    Didn't Tony Blair make that solemn promise when Labour first came to power in 1997, and again in 2001?

So how can there possibly still be any 15 years later? I don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    When my daughter was in recently on an assessment ward, waiting for her appendix to burst, the woman in the next bed had, I assume, something seriously wrong with her bowels. It sounded like she had recurring explosive diarrhoea with vast quantities of wind to boot. Thank goodness that after all my years of smoking I've mostly lost my sense of smell. My poor daughter nearly threw up more than once. At least the curtains were drawn. But dignity? The poor woman had none.

P.S. Glad to hear Mrs. Wurzel is improving

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Grim is the word for it.

Trying to hold a conversation (difficult for me anyway, being a lizard of few words & zero small talk) whilst someone unrelated is busily dying in the next bed is rather difficult.

I thought they were supposed to be doing away with mixed wards.
    They are - they're supposed to be the exception.

Grimmest of all is the geriatric ward - gawd help you if you end up on one of them when you still have your marbles.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    How's Mrs wurzel doing? Has she been fixed?
    She had the ERPC procedure this morning - so fingers crossed she'll be ok now - just needs to have the gall bladder removed but that will be done privately.

She was hospitalised twice to be put on a drip since I last posted. 4 nights on a mixed ward - it was grim. Without going into detail, I was shocked at the state of some of the patients in there & how they were put on an open ward alongside members of the opposite sex with visitors coming in and out etc.

Maybe hospitals have always been like that, I don't know, but I thought there was supposed to be some concern for the patient's dignity.

Think we'll be upping our level of cover with BUPA

Thanks for asking MS.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    How's Mrs wurzel doing? Has she been fixed?

Leave a comment:

• rwilson
    replied
    At my client co , one of the Bobs had the same problem. Tried his luck at NHS and then decided to get it done with plenty cheapness , bugger came back in 2 weeks. Said he paid around £300. Did you check somewhere in Poland ?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I know there are a few CUK medical experts out there.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Or keyhole removal of the gall bladder. Marginally affects your ability to digest saturated fats, otherwise little real world impact. We've noticed none in the last 15 years or so.

We went through all this when She Who Must be Obeyed was affected. The consultant's view was that if you simply remove the gallstones, they may well come back again. Since some level of surgery is required anyway, why not fix the root cause?
    same here, wife as been fine since, she brought her gallstones home in a jar they looked like she had picked up some gravel out of the car park, no issue since and looking at her she does not need to watch what she eats

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    • Lithotripsy.(There's lots of flavours to this & worth a google)This procedure uses ultrasound waves to break up gallstones. It may be used alone or along with bile acids to break up stones. The procedure, which is now rarely performed, has been used for people who have long-term (chronic) inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis) and who are not strong enough for surgery. But it is not appropriate in treating sudden (acute) cholecystitis.
    • Contact dissolution therapy. This treatment uses a thin, flexible tube called a catheter to place a chemical in the gallbladder to dissolve gallstones. This therapy is rarely used because of the risk of complications. And unlike with surgery, gallstones may return.
    • Percutaneous cholecystostomy. This procedure may provide temporary relief for an inflamed gallbladder until an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP) or surgery can be performed. During percutaneous cholecystostomy, a doctor places a tube through the abdomen and into the gallbladder to drain its contents. This sometimes is done for people who are not strong enough for surgery.
    • Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP) with endoscopic sphincterotomy. In an ERCP, a doctor gently moves a flexible, lighted viewing instrument (endoscope) down your throat and through your stomach to examine the tubes that drain your liver and gallbladder. If you have a gallstone in the common bile duct, the gallstone can sometimes be removed through the endoscope.
    Or keyhole removal of the gall bladder. Marginally affects your ability to digest saturated fats, otherwise little real world impact. We've noticed none in the last 15 years or so.

We went through all this when She Who Must be Obeyed was affected. The consultant's view was that if you simply remove the gallstones, they may well come back again. Since some level of surgery is required anyway, why not fix the root cause?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    stoopid question, possibly
    but is a gall stone the same as a kidney stone ?
    A stoopid question, and already answered. The clue is in the name.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X