• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Spreadable vs "normal" butter"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Any opinions?

Normal butter tastes spankin' gawjus, but is difficult to spread.

Speadable butter, on the other hand, is spreadable but not as nice as normal butter.

It can make all the difference to that all important first meal of the day (4 slices of toast).
    Sounds like you need a temperature-controlled butter dish (only £35 on Amazon).

I was tempted to buy one myself, but decided the need to plug it into the mains (to recharge?) might be rather a pain.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    That's the one! I prefer it to salted, great in lemon drizzle cake too. I get it by the box when it's gone a few days out of date and then freeze it.
    It's great for cooking with and it goes brilliantly with cheese too. To be honest even the slightly salted one is nice....

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Anyone tried simply putting the butter outside and waiting for global warming to melt it?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I try to watch my salt so avoid spreads. I really like that French President unsalted butter but save it for weekends.
    That's the one! I prefer it to salted, great in lemon drizzle cake too. I get it by the box when it's gone a few days out of date and then freeze it.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    We should be fine in the UK for 11.5 months of the year

It's probably warmer in the fridge

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Literally 5s in the microwave, even less sometimes, will make it nice and soft. More than that will ruin it.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Nope, provided it's not actually warm enough to melt, butter will keep for a couple of weeks this way. Just make sure to put the lid back on the dish after you use it.
    We should be fine in the UK for 11.5 months of the year

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Don't keep butter in the fridge. Stick it in a butter dish and leave it in the kitchen. Voila, proper butter you can spread.
    Not if you're tough and don't turn the heating on!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    BTW I've tried dumping a big splodge of butter on hot toast (straight out the toaster) in the hope that the rising heat will make the butter more compliant - doesn't seem to work that well.
    I try to balance a knife on top of the toaster to get it hot, then use that. Still doesn't really spread though, at least not without using so much force you destroy the toast in the process.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Unfortunately not...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I try to watch my salt so avoid spreads. I really like that French President unsalted butter but save it for weekends.
    If I was the French President I wouldn't save it for weekends.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Will give that a go, and as others have said - leave normal butter out of the fridge! (- would this make the butter go off?)
    Nope, provided it's not actually warm enough to melt, butter will keep for a couple of weeks this way. Just make sure to put the lid back on the dish after you use it.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Nobody's mentioned the "I can't believe it's not" variety.
    I find that hard to believe.............

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I work the real butter on the side of a dish with a knife, the friction heats up the butter making it easier to spread
    Will give that a go, and as others have said - leave normal butter out of the fridge! (- would this make the butter go off?)

BTW I've tried dumping a big splodge of butter on hot toast (straight out the toaster) in the hope that the rising heat will make the butter more compliant - doesn't seem to work that well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X