• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Big Data

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Big Data"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well thanks for answering....

Maybe a bit late now mind but...
    better late than never...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I was hungry, and the banks were closed for the bank holiday weekend!
    Well thanks for answering....

Maybe a bit late now mind but...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

I know I'm going to regret this but why?
    I was hungry, and the banks were closed for the bank holiday weekend!

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Re: Big Data

High five!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    https://twitter.com/BigDataBorat

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I had JAP this week in a e-mail about a project. Had to read through the end to find out it meant Java Application Platform, bunch of old bollocks if you ask me.
    It's just occurred to me, that if they do ever put java on the ipad, it might be the japs eye. not sure if I want the missus looking at that all day

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    DevOps Borat

https://twitter.com/DEVOPS_BORAT/sta...98056470315008

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I recently sat through a townhall where this high paid exec explained that he was in charge of big data for big co and what it would do for the big co. Sounded like they were screen scraping facebook for leads.
    Was his name Mike Lynch?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Global, all encompassing terms like big data are fine between people that understand that it is catch all for a large set of skills and usages.

I recently sat through a townhall where this high paid exec explained that he was in charge of big data for big co and what it would do for the big co. Sounded like they were screen scraping facebook for leads.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I know, and I think it's an important development; getting value out of the huge data collections in companies and outside of them will be a big thing. However, forgive me for being a little bit jaded by hearing umpteen thousand buzzwords in the last 15 years.
    I had JAP this week in a e-mail about a project. Had to read through the end to find out it meant Java Application Platform, bunch of old bollocks if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Hmm - The earliest dinosaurs were probably about the size of chickens and must have run around much like them

(Catching a chicken in an open space is well nigh impossible, they're so fast and agile, and I should know as I spent the best part of an hour trying once while cycling through France! )
    It's much easier if you get off the bike.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Hmm - The earliest dinosaurs were probably about the size of chickens and must have run around much like them

(Catching a chicken in an open space is well nigh impossible, they're so fast and agile, and I should know as I spent the best part of an hour trying once while cycling through France! )
    I know I'm going to regret this but why?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Other way round on this planet

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    But once you've built a chicken, the dinosaur is much easier.
    Other way round on this planet

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Getting seriously peed off by the term Big Data appearing in role requirements.

For those of you in HR / Agency - Big Data is a marketing term. There is no difference to what you can do with data now.

For those responsible for data security / safety / accuracy - Big Data also equals 'uncontrolled'. The sort of thing most companies have been battling against for years.

FFS
    True to some extent; but genuinely Big Data i.e. a database with tens of millions of records does need extra skills and experience.

For example a SELECT that works in a flash on a small to medium sized database might take forever on a huge one, or worse still lock the whole thing for ages, if it isn't carefully crafted and tested based on the existing keys.

Also, you might need extra infrastructure such as separate read and write servers, and a more elaborate backup strategy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X