• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Richard III

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Richard III"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Listerine mouthwash is good for removing plaque.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    For that particular plaque, a crowbar

but, on reading that plaque, I think it is the wrong one, and that this is the one in question -

Disc cutter I think.

(why did I just waste my time doing this?)
    Ah, yes; but there's another one on the Bow Bridge, which may be the one I'm thinking of. Not sure which is which: if the western one is the one you've shown there, the other is at the eastern end, near that second one you show, which is in the wall of a modern building (early 80s) that used to house Widdowson's Haulage but is now some other company: https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.633...359.78,,2,7.79

I'm taking the Orion for its MOT just round the corner from there soon, so I'll pop round then and have a look.

EDIT: just realised the one you show is the eastern one, as it has the crest on top; the western one may be the one with the legend about his head striking a mounting stone or some such.

EDIT AGAIN: And here's the western one:

Last edited by NickFitz; 6 February 2013, 00:09.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    For that particular plaque, a crowbar

but, on reading that plaque, I think it is the wrong one, and that this is the one in question -

Disc cutter I think.

(why did I just waste my time doing this?)

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Hard to tell but, looking at it on StreetView, I think it might need a spanner: https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.633...,32.54,,3,8.96
    mmm. a spanner eh ?
    It's difficult to tell, but maybe MF is available

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Don't take a photo

take a screwdriver

Hard to tell but, looking at it on StreetView, I think it might need a spanner: https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.633...,32.54,,3,8.96

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    There's a plaque on one of the bridges over the river asserting that his remains were chucked in somewhere near there, which was an old local legend. I'm going to nip up and get a photo of it before the council remember it and take it down.
    Don't take a photo

take a screwdriver

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    It's Leicester they will probably cremate him and pop him in the river.
    There's a plaque on one of the bridges over the river asserting that his remains were chucked in somewhere near there, which was an old local legend. I'm going to nip up and get a photo of it before the council remember it and take it down.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Will he get a Catholic burial or a CofE one?
    He's already had a Catholic burial service when the Grey Friars originally buried him, and you can't have a second one in either church. So he'll have memorial services instead, both Catholic and Anglican, and be interred in Leicester Cathedral which, though Anglican now, was originally Catholic and so already contains numerous Catholic burials.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Where will Richard III be interred ?

good question

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Ah yes, the winners get to write history.
    And paint the pictures. The paintings of Richard iii get progressively more distorted the later they were done. Early ones show a much softer expression with no real sings of deformity, some were even "edited" later to make them less attractive. Tudor propaganda at it's best.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Which eventually brought to mind this:

The Daughter of Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ah yes, the winners get to write history.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It's Leicester they will probably cremate him and pop him in the river.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Ecumenical

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Not only is he famous for having a body-part named after him, but he also coined one of the most famous sayings in the world - A horse, A horse. my Kingdom for a horse

CATESBY:
    Rescue, my Lord of Norfolk, rescue, rescue!
    The king enacts more wonders than a man,
    Daring an opposite to every danger:
    His horse is slain, and all on foot he fights,
    Seeking for Richmond in the throat of death.
    Rescue, fair lord, or else the day is lost!

KING RICHARD III:
    A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!

CATESBY:
    Withdraw, my lord; I'll help you to a horse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X