• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have you witnessed any accidents?"

Collapse

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    There's a zebra crossing right outside the Qdos offices and the number of accidents we've seen in 2 years is frightening. Just yesterday a white van inexplicably mounted the pavement and ran over the flashing beacon pole. He got out (wearing slippers), wandered around a bit and then drove off. Thankfully nobody was waiting to cross.

Worryingly, one of my first childhood memories is being in the back of a black cab when it ran a bloke over. I think he was alright, but I know my parents had to go to court as witnesses.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I used to work in Moscoow.

On my first journey into the city from the airport, there was a dead body lying in the road after an accident. Sharpens the mind about crossing the road.

Saw quite a few fender benders after that, just kept walking. Foreigners don't make good witnesses.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    tulip myself for weeks after seeing a F3 off only for it never to come back! I’d signed it off as serviceable!
    Similar, except it was a J31. Did the turn-round, watched it taking off then flip into the tarmac from 50 ft.
    Not nice.

Leave a comment:

• Gruffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I got knocked down when I was 19, stepped out in front of a car, went through the windscreen and catapulted 20 yards over the back. Was lucky I was only laid up for two weeks. Still have the scars 30 years later.
    Snap. I smashed the windscreen, car moving around 40mph. I was aged around 11. Thrown into the pavement. Around 10 stitched to back of head and shoulder, released home though the same day.

A very close call.

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    Have a look on youtube 'car crashes', some pretty horrific car crashes on there caught on car cams mostly Russian or Japan. I don't know how youtube gets away with it, some of the accidents on there you can be sure / see people have been killed.

Leave a comment:

• AnnaO
    replied
    I was walking up to the corner shop which was on a T Junction and this huge lorry went hurtling past me on the pavement of the main road, it had already taken the wooden fencing down. The Lorry hurtles past and hits the chap coming out of the launderette who was just about to get on his Honda 50 The lorry then jack knifed across the road and the poor chap got his head squashed under the wheels (helmet and all)

Later on the fire engine washed his blood and guts down the drain. I’ll never forget that.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    No this is an accident.

Horror car smash: Black 4x4 flies into oncoming motor | The Sun |News

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Last year in Berlin, yes. BMW speeds through red light and drives right into the side of some silver car at the crossroads. BMW doesn't stop however and speeds away. BMW was obviously stolen and subsequently dumped about 300 metres down the road, driver and passengers fleeing on foot.
    Driver of silver car bleeding from arm and head. Police came and took all our details (we later had to submit written statements).

Three days later the driver of the silver car phones my mother, as he still had her pen (pricy-ish Mont Blanc pen) and returns it same day - got her details from the police. Sweet, I thought.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Crossing the road, this cyclist shoots past me through a red light (of course) and then proceeds to go on the inside of a lorry on a corner where the truck is going to have to turn in sharply leaving the cyclist with no room.

The cyclist was on the blind side of the lorry so she ended up getting knocked off her bike, and the lorry then proceeds to run over the back wheel of her bike, she's still caught under the bike and she starts screaming, only for the fact she did that and the lorry driver happened to have his window open he would have run over her legs.

I stayed around to help her off the road and rang the police and ambulance.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Only one serious incident was a guy in a bi-plane (Tiger-Moth IIRC) crashing in to a field straight after take off. He went straight up and then straight down again. He got away with a broken neck.

Apparently my memory isn't so good.

ASN Aircraft accident 20-AUG-1997 de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth G-AOBJ
    A little puerile but this made me laugh from the accident description:

The ATC controller saw 'BJ' start to turn crosswind but his attention was momentarily drawn to an aircraft on final approach. When he looked back, 'BJ' was descending in a nose down attitude, banked to the right.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Saw a Tornado F3 land with its undercarriage up! Had to guard a chunk of another in a miserably wet Lincolnshire field after a mid air collision.

Ran like feck when a Phantom F4 clipped a missile trolley when scrambling.

tulip myself for weeks after seeing a F3 off only for it never to come back! I’d signed it off as serviceable! Turns out the crew got disorientated in a dogfight in cloud and ‘climbed ‘ into the sea!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    The funniest I've seen was a motorbike hit by a milkfloat by the campsite I was staying at, it was like watching Father Ted
    A moving campsite!

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    The funniest I've seen was a motorbike hit by a milkfloat by the campsite I was staying at, it was like watching Father Ted

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Used to work as airport security during hols when at Uni.

Plenty of full emergencies but nothing too major, usually caused by a light not coming on for landing gear or a loss of cabin pressure.

Only one serious incident was a guy in a bi-plane (Tiger-Moth IIRC) crashing in to a field straight after take off. He went straight up and then straight down again. He got away with a broken neck.

Apparently my memory isn't so good.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=22640
    Last edited by Pondlife; 1 February 2013, 10:32.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Accident waiting to happen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X