• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Snow and exercise.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Snow and exercise."

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Go skiing. That's what I did on Saturday. Still feeling the benefit.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Someboady gave me a copy of Insanity.

Did my first session today and I'm totally spent. The idea is to invert the concept of interval training where you do shot spikes of intensive stuff between longer periods of less intensive exercise.

Good thing is, you don't need any kit and you can do it in the "comfort" of your living room...
    I am currently on month 2 of this and it is an awesome workout! Once my pulse spiked at 216 and my cheek (on my face) started twitching and would not stop for a minute or so. I thought I was about to die!

I took two weeks off over Christmas as I could not spare an hour a day and I took another week off in Jan as I caught a nasty cold.

I have lost 15lbs and noticed when I was last at Krav Maga I was always the person who finished the exercises (pressups, squats etc) first despite being older and heavier than a lot of the guys there.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    [QUOTE=mudskipper;1683728]Do you now look like Shaun T, wurzel?

Yeah. You should see him when he breathes out

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Wasn't as bad as I thought - no worse than the mud we've had of late.

Think I'm going to invest in a pair of off road shoes though.
    I went out too, cross-country. It's bumpy on bridlepaths so you need flexible ankles, but it's great.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    That's not a bad idea. I've got an old Meccano 2 set somewhere.
    That was my first Meccano set.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post

Did my first session today and I'm totally spent. The idea is to invert the concept of interval training where you do shot spikes of intensive stuff between longer periods of less intensive exercise.

Good thing is, you don't need any kit and you can do it in the "comfort" of your living room...
    Do you now look like Shaun T, wurzel?

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Speak for yourself, I guess you can count the number of PCs that are plugged in and working.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Tried my own advice and spent 30min clearing the road. Absolutely dripping by the end with only a thin top and freezing temperatures. Can't be bad, cardio work that uses your muscles too... and strangely satisfying to accomplish a menial chore where you can see exactly what you've achieved..
    That's what being an IT contractor is all about.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Tried my own advice and spent 30min clearing the road. Absolutely dripping by the end with only a thin top and freezing temperatures. Can't be bad, cardio work that uses your muscles too... and strangely satisfying to accomplish a menial chore where you can see exactly what you've achieved..

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Wasn't as bad as I thought - no worse than the mud we've had of late.

Think I'm going to invest in a pair of off road shoes though.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    A lot depends on the surface you're running on but generally, I dont do any runs when its freezing.

Running on fresh snow is pretty much like running on sand, hard work and you may get a bit of 'wheel spin' from the forefoot but generally, you can get some grip.

Compacted snow is akin to running on ice, very slippy and always the danger of misplaced footing. Personally, I wouldnt attempt to run in such conditions with normal road running shoes.

Similarly, frozen pavements. Treacherous at best especially on curves or where the pavement is cambered for rain water run off. Again, I lay off running in such conditions.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    slippy and sore?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Just off to attempt the park run. Reserve the right to give up before I get to the end of the road.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Didn't we have a zorb fatality thread recently?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X