• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Shrinking tax base

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shrinking tax base"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    And just to think about 5 years ago you thought the Tories would sort it out
    I was an idiot 5 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    JUst create more government jobs! They have to pay tax!

Simples.....
    Your are Gordon Brown and I claim my £25,000 benefits!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    The main problem isn't so much how we tax, it's the level of tax revenues the gov needs to receive, thanks to entitlement spending, interest payments and pretendy austerity.

However, if you want a tax that is fair, almost impossible to avoid or offshore and doesn't distort the market, then the land value tax it is.
    He's off again

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    But there would be no scope for avoidance because the tax code would be so simple. They say it's 11,000 pages at the minute. Dunno if that's true or not but whatever it is it's ridiculously complicated.
    Ah yes, Tolley's Tax Guide.

With each new tax regulation it took over 100 years to reach 2500 pages. Then Gordon doubled the size of it.

It was like writing a sequel.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    yes but how do you make it evasion?

The lawyers make sure its avoidance. Have a look at the tax affairs of Mr Tetrapak, we pay him to live here and its all legal.
    But there would be no scope for avoidance because the tax code would be so simple. They say it's 11,000 pages at the minute. Dunno if that's true or not but whatever it is it's ridiculously complicated.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Lawyers are good for tax avoidance, but they can't get you round evasion, so would be of little help here.
    yes but how do you make it evasion?

The lawyers make sure its avoidance. Have a look at the tax affairs of Mr Tetrapak, we pay him to live here and its all legal.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    they would, they have better lawyers, its the real problem with taxation only the little people pay it.

yes and then the relevant company would respond by getting the action ruled as illegal by the EU or similar.

Knee jerk sloutions tend not to work.
    Lawyers are good for tax avoidance, but they can't get you round evasion, so would be of little help here.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    And why do I pay more than double Council Tax than Westminster residents?

Westminster City Council - Council tax bands and rates
    Westminster was set up as the model 'Tory' council back in Maggie's days and the costly lowlife moved out to keep it nice and cheap for the ones left behind.

Westminster chief: We're sorry for Dame Shirley and 'homes for votes' - News - London Evening Standard

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    They wouldn't be legally avoiding it.

If an offshore owns the house, then simply say, if you don't pay tax, we are repoing it until you do. The tenants would just be the irrelevant middle-men.
    they would, they have better lawyers, its the real problem with taxation only the little people pay it.

yes and then the relevant company would respond by getting the action ruled as illegal by the EU or similar.

Knee jerk sloutions tend not to work.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    They can't even get council tax right.

I pay about 10% less than someone with a house worth 30 times my homes value. (2nd to top band)

more people in prison due to council tax than income tax.

Massive rise in council tax arrears | Money | guardian.co.uk

half the rich don't pay council tax anyway, their estates are owned by offshore organisations, don't tell me we are going to get them to pay. Their lawyers are better than ours.

VAT is the tax you want, on everything 0 value up. Paid on imports before it reaches customs.

Large companies can claim it against their corporation tax bill.

Small UK companies can claim it back partially.

we can then vary to encourage UK manufacture.

20% of everything, lovely chubbly.
    And why do I pay more than double Council Tax than Westminster residents?

Westminster City Council - Council tax bands and rates

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    why when they are legally avoiding it?

I assume we just take your money from your ISA? After all you paid no tax on it.

Magna Carta etc stopped that sort of thing.
    They wouldn't be legally avoiding it.

If an offshore owns the house, then simply say, if you don't pay tax, we are repoing it until you do. The tenants would just be the irrelevant middle-men.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    That's alright, just kick them out of their house if they don't pay.

Simples.
    why when they are legally avoiding it?

I assume we just take your money from your ISA? After all you paid no tax on it.

Magna Carta etc stopped that sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    or we can just inflate it away. simples.
    That was the plan, but the debt ( adjusted for inflation ) is rising sharply.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    half the rich don't pay council tax anyway, their estates are owned by offshore organisations, don't tell me we are going to get them to pay. Their lawyers are better than ours.
    That's alright, just kick them out of their house if they don't pay.

Simples.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    we are on about £250 expenditure and don't have a pray trying to repay it
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X