• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Credit search experian - available credit = > £94K !!"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Just been to see the nice people at Barclays today about opening a premier account. Currently with santander who are complete pants.

Seems like a better option because you have a personal banking manager to talk to about loans etc. Seemed to understand the score etc.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Just got a freebie experian credit search and results were that even though my credit score was good, available credit was a bit excessive.

Anyway, looking at it, I've got 9 credit cards with available credit of over £94K. Scary. Luckily, outstanding is very low indeed - just a few balance transfer at 1.9% or something. About 5 of these cards I aint used in years they're just sitting there with zero balance.

Had problems getting a loan a few years - looks like this is why. I guess theoretically, I could get a loan then hike cards up to their limit and be screwed. Scary though as to what the minimum payment on £94K would be. (2.5% of £94K = £2350 a month, interest at 1.6%/month approx = £1500 WOW!). Approaching a permie salary for the month there!

I think I better close a few. Only trouble is even though I can login to most online I cant even find the cards so I dont know the card no.

Its gotta be done but its reassuring to have it available. Its like I'll have the card there just in case I need it.....
    The banks do two credit checks, one external and one internal. The internal one has much more stringent criteria. You will find the actual credit will be very much less.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you want to talk about cars crashing into each other, start your own boring thread.
    instead of using this boring thread?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you want to talk about cars crashing into each other, start your own boring thread.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    It's amazing what you learn about car crash testing whilst reading a thread about having too many credit cards.

I spent ages looking for information about how good cars are in a roll, but NCAP don't test for that. The US equivalent have a rating for roll, but that's roll resistance, rather than how well the occupants are protected. It seems the industry and the public are happy to accept that you're probably dead if your car ends up upside down, as indeed happened to some poor unfortunates on the M6 last week.

This is after seeing a couple of people crawl out of an upside down S2000. Ironically, it seems you're better off in a convertible than most cars.
    My Z350 has two huge roll bars behind the driver and passenger seats plus re-enforced windscreen pillars. I have to say I would feel safer in that being upside down than a normal family car from a crush perspective but looking at the dints down the middle of a roof in rolls you have to wonder what that would have done to me coming through a lightly framed canvass hood. Bars don't protect from other objects caving in parts of the roof.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Re: Credit search experian - available credit = > £94K !!

It's amazing what you learn about car crash testing whilst reading a thread about having too many credit cards.

I spent ages looking for information about how good cars are in a roll, but NCAP don't test for that. The US equivalent have a rating for roll, but that's roll resistance, rather than how well the occupants are protected. It seems the industry and the public are happy to accept that you're probably dead if your car ends up upside down, as indeed happened to some poor unfortunates on the M6 last week.

This is after seeing a couple of people crawl out of an upside down S2000. Ironically, it seems you're better off in a convertible than most cars.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So, in conclusion - driving M1A2 Abrams MBT is much safer in the unlikely event of front collision with an Aygo?

Well, I never...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Euro NCAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comparing test results

The Euro NCAP frontal impact tests simulates crashing a car into another of similar mass and structure. This means that the ratings can only be meaningfully compared between cars of the same type and size.[6] The following structural categories are used:
    Passenger car
    MPV
    Off-roader
    Roadster
    Pickup
    In each category, cars which are within 150 kg of one another are considered comparable

Buying your car | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Are large cars safer than small cars?
    In frontal impacts between cars, the occupants of the heavier car or the one with higher structures tend to fare better than those travelling in lighter, lower cars. As it is not possible to simulate the influence of mass in a test against a fixed barrier, Euro NCAP recommends comparison only between cars which are of a similar mass (+/- 150kg) and in the same category. Such comparisons allow the relative safety performance of cars to be judged accurately.

Can results be compared between groups?
    Accurate comparisons can only be made between cars in the same group. The frontal test mirrors a crash between two cars of similar size. A heavier car or one with a higher structure will tend to have an advantage if it impacts a smaller car. The Euro NCAP results cannot be used to predict the outcome of such crashes.

Aygo Weight = 890
    Ford Focus = 1270
    VW Golf = 1323

And so on.

But Ive already said what the experience of my father was, in a crash little car = dead or disabled, big car = walk away with stiff neck.
    Thats it Im going to fill my Sedona up bags of sand. 5 seats replaced and piled high with bags of sand will weigh tons!!!

Might only do 3 mpg then!

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

NLUK admits he's wrong about something
    Do you think it might make him question if he is wrong on other things??

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well that has well and truely burst my bubble

NLUK admits he's wrong about something

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Comparing test results

The Euro NCAP frontal impact tests simulates crashing a car into another of similar mass and structure. This means that the ratings can only be meaningfully compared between cars of the same type and size.[6] The following structural categories are used:
    Passenger car
    MPV
    Off-roader
    Roadster
    Pickup
    In each category, cars which are within 150 kg of one another are considered comparable

Well that has well and truely burst my bubble I know stats like this are difficult to pin down but to assume you are going to hit a similar sized car is a bit... mehhhh... I thought the whole idea was to ave a definitive guide, not one that would depend on what I hit.

In frontal impacts between cars, the occupants of the heavier car or the one with higher structures tend to fare better than those travelling in lighter, lower cars. As it is not possible to simulate the influence of mass in a test against a fixed barrier, Euro NCAP recommends comparison only between cars which are of a similar mass (+/- 150kg) and in the same category. Such comparisons allow the relative safety performance of cars to be judged accurately.

Accurate comparisons can only be made between cars in the same group. The frontal test mirrors a crash between two cars of similar size. A heavier car or one with a higher structure will tend to have an advantage if it impacts a smaller car. The Euro NCAP results cannot be used to predict the outcome of such crashes.

Aygo Weight = 890
    Ford Focus = 1270
    VW Golf = 1323

And so on.

But Ive already said what the experience of my father was, in a crash little car = dead or disabled, big car = walk away with stiff neck.
    Yep, can't argue with the common sense (plus ,unfortunately, the practical experience) of this.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Hmmm. By that rationale, the only safe cars are large ones and you shouldn't buy ANY small car?
    That's the prevailing wisdom in the US, and another reason why many merkins prefer to buy large trucks.

EDIT: just watch the video!
    Last edited by Platypus; 7 January 2013, 17:06.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXunnaaYtz0

There's a video for people who like to see proof, there a Yaris as an example. See how the Yaris is destroyed by the Camry.

"In a real world crash the driver of the Yaris would sustain serious injuries, by comparison the driver of the Camry would fair much better."

Im a little surprised that people do think that small cars with 5 stars are as safe as a big car with 5 stars, but I guess this is marketing in action!

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied

Comparing test results

Passenger car
    MPV
    Off-roader
    Roadster
    Pickup

Aygo Weight = 890
    Ford Focus = 1270
    VW Golf = 1323

And so on.

Last edited by escapeUK; 7 January 2013, 16:53.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You should remember that those Euro Ncap tests only compare same size cars against each other, so a 5 star little weak car is not as strong as a 3 star medium.
    Whilst I don't disagree with what you say I wasn't aware of this. I can't see anywhere on the NCAP site that backs this up? The catagories are on the search thing yes but looking at the protocol documents I can't see anywhere it mentions cars are groups and inividually rated by type? I would be dissapointed if that was the case. I thought the idea was to give a balanced review of saftey of all cars, not per car type. A 5 star super mini not having the same protection as a 3* large family car means you still don't have a qualified comparison of the two, which I thought was the whole purpose of the tests.

Cutting people out of cars due to a crash with combined speeds of 80+ upwards isn't covered by NCAP and abolsutely, you would expect a bigger car to fare better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X