• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "And I thought cycling in London was dodgy."

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    although, I tend to speed up in my HSBC ones (cheapo sale during a stint there) moreso if they have had bad press, all the cabbies seem to know about it.
    Good idea. Maybe I'll buy a pair of Moroccan national team shorts for riding in NL.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I have a variety of cycling shorts including club shorts, plain black, black and white etc etc. None of them affect my speed. The other cyclists realised quickly that I'm an old rugby player because I can go downhill very fast, can keep up with the peloton on the flat, but when they go uphill I sort of, well, erm, stop.
    although, I tend to speed up in my HSBC ones (cheapo sale during a stint there) moreso if they have had bad press, all the cabbies seem to know about it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    Few months ago chappy in our office started coming in in super-dooper cycling gear, spent a fortune - you'd think he rode for one of the teams.
    Turns out he was getting a Boris Bike from Liverpool St to Waterloo

Says he is now injured, and I caught him outside having a fag yesterday.

When cycling in europe the locals say they can spot the brits because we mainly wear plain black cycling shorts.
    I have a variety of cycling shorts including club shorts, plain black, black and white etc etc. None of them affect my speed. The other cyclists realised quickly that I'm an old rugby player because I can go downhill very fast, can keep up with the peloton on the flat, but when they go uphill I sort of, well, erm, stop.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    These are people who are unlikely to win.
    Few months ago chappy in our office started coming in in super-dooper cycling gear, spent a fortune - you'd think he rode for one of the teams.
    Turns out he was getting a Boris Bike from Liverpool St to Waterloo

Says he is now injured, and I caught him outside having a fag yesterday.

When cycling in europe the locals say they can spot the brits because we mainly wear plain black cycling shorts.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    On the triathlete forum I visit there is a huge argument between men who wear blue and men who wear pink.

I prefer bland. Its not a fashion show. Whatever Dallas says.....
    These are people who are unlikely to win.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I suspect a lot of the people who wear lycra when cycling only took up cycling to give them an excuse to wear it in public.
    On the triathlete forum I visit there is a huge argument between men who wear blue and men who wear pink.

I prefer bland. Its not a fashion show. Whatever Dallas says.....

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I suspect a lot of the people who wear lycra when cycling only took up cycling to give them an excuse to wear it in public.
    It's about aerodynamics.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I brought some tight lycra trousers once, never wore them. Partly they looked stupid but mainly it was just far too obvious I wasn't Lynford Christie.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Is it to do with being gay? Back in the 70s I recall a motorcyclist telling me in Turkey how they kept getting stones thrown at them in rural areas.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I never understood the need for lycra - I reckon it looks very odd. Maybe its saving me from getting stoned?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    My sister was telling me last night that in Slough some pedestrians have been shot by air rifles by people passing by in cars.

Luckily when I am cycling I wear normal grey/black shorts and some army wicking shirts. I never understood the need for lycra - I reckon it looks very odd. Maybe its saving me from getting stoned?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    When I was a boy a kid I knew had a very nasty accident when the saddle on his bike broke.
    Apparently Chris Hoy breaks several saddles every week.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    How did they know they were gay? Had the Saddles been removed from the bikes?
    When I was a boy a kid I knew had a very nasty accident when the saddle on his bike broke.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    At least they don't chuck stones at you on a regular basis. Not north of the river anyway.

Get Yemen's Cycle Team to their next race! | Indiegogo

The cyclists have been pedalling through the dusty outskirts of Yemen's capital, Sana'a, for just 30 seconds when the first rock comes hurtling at their wheels.

None of the seven riders so much as flinch, as the perpetrator, a local shopkeeper, identifies himself. He shouts and waves an arm. "You gays! Cover up!"

Dressed in an eclectic assortment of sun-faded Lycra cycling attire, and riding an archaic selection of bikes in varying state of repair, the group keeps silent, and together, as they keep on pedalling.
    How did they know they were gay? Had the Saddles been removed from the bikes?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    started a topic And I thought cycling in London was dodgy.

And I thought cycling in London was dodgy.

At least they don't chuck stones at you on a regular basis. Not north of the river anyway.

Get Yemen's Cycle Team to their next race! | Indiegogo

The cyclists have been pedalling through the dusty outskirts of Yemen's capital, Sana'a, for just 30 seconds when the first rock comes hurtling at their wheels.

None of the seven riders so much as flinch, as the perpetrator, a local shopkeeper, identifies himself. He shouts and waves an arm. "You gays! Cover up!"

Dressed in an eclectic assortment of sun-faded Lycra cycling attire, and riding an archaic selection of bikes in varying state of repair, the group keeps silent, and together, as they keep on pedalling.

Yemen must be one of the few countries in the world where a group of young men, on their morning ride can, and regularly does, attract such anger and ignorance from passersby. Their crime? Wearing shorts and tight jerseys.

Last edited by DaveB; 6 November 2012, 08:57.

Working...
X