• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You''ll live where we put you"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Will a living wage provide them with the incentive to get off their backsides? possibly not the thing that gets me is that a certain section of society believe that certain types of jobs are beneath them.
    Quite. It is so hard to find recruitment agents these days

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Will a living wage provide them with the incentive to get off their backsides? possibly not the thing that gets me is that a certain section of society believe that certain types of jobs are beneath them.
    my comment was actually about low wage employees that have their accommodation and living expenses subsidised via benefits when the large employers pay no tax in the UK, so in effect the country is subsidising Starbucks and saving their employees from starving.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I disagree with that. There are a few categories of doleite/housing recipient in my opinion.
    The one who are there due to circs or misfortune and who are fighting like heck to get back to work etc.
    The ones who are there temporalily while they get educated, etc, with the aim of getting into work
    The ones who have perfect motives, but will never be a tap dancer because they only have one leg
    The ones who are playing the system and milking it

The first three we all love, and give them every assistance. It's the last bunch who we all hate and want to feed to the pigs. fckng drones (and believe me, poor people who stuggle, hate them more than we do)

agree so when it becomes obvious when people fall into the last slot and are getting more than £400 / week then lets move them to Gravesend.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I don't think their motives are relevant. It is rightly seen as unjust when people are asked to subsidise others for things, like living in pricey areas or having more kids, that they cannot afford for themselves and that is very destructive of incentive.
    I disagree with that. There are a few categories of doleite/housing recipient in my opinion.
    The one who are there due to circs or misfortune and who are fighting like heck to get back to work etc.
    The ones who are there temporalily while they get educated, etc, with the aim of getting into work
    The ones who have perfect motives, but will never be a tap dancer because they only have one leg
    The ones who are playing the system and milking it

The first three we all love, and give them every assistance. It's the last bunch who we all hate and want to feed to the pigs. fckng drones (and believe me, poor people who stuggle, hate them more than we do)

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Is it healthy to have entire areas (the whole of the south east?) where there are no poor people?
    Surely it's the goal of civilisation to turn the entire world into an area where there are no poor people?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    "Them" seems to imply that you think all people in council houses are somehow frauds, it's a bit insulting and very far from the mark.
    I don't think their motives are relevant. It is rightly seen as unjust when people are asked to subsidise others for things, like living in pricey areas or having more kids, that they cannot afford for themselves and that is very destructive of incentive.

Personally, I think we need to restore a great deal more Darwin into our society. At the moment, the least able are being funded to breed at a higher rate than the more able who fund them. If we carry on like that, we in the West will disappear back into the primordial soup. Child allowances and benefits need to be cut. If you depend on the state you should do whatever is reasonably required to remove the burden on others.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Up to 40,000 homes could be freed up, saving £122million a year.
    I always suspected that this was a significant number but that is shocking.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    The whole topic isn't as black and white as benefit cheats and the genuinelly unable, be it through lack of opportunity or disability.
    "Them" seems to imply that you think all people in council houses are somehow frauds, it's a bit insulting and very far from the mark.
    Here you go:

Council house boot for tenants earning more than £60,000 | The Sun |News|Politics

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    There are legal remedies to deal with people who behave in the ways you've described. This article isn't about such people. It's about people who can't afford rent. Whilst there may be some overlap, you do need to differentiate between the two when you're discussing fair housing policies.
    Living in your quiet cul - de sac in Cheam I guess you get to it all

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    very sorry to hear that.
    Thanks mate it's something we've had to learn to live with unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    so not only are we subsidising big business with them avoiding tax I suspect we are also creating a living wage for their employees.
    The problem with the living wage is though it's a decent idea in principle it makes the country very uncompetitive with other countries and if I owned a large business I would relocate to keep costs down. Which means there are less jobs and higher unemployment.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Unfortunately due to complications giving birth to my daughter we are unable to have anymore children, therefore as I only have one child I wouldn't be classed as priority on the housing list.
    very sorry to hear that.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Fair point....

Although the majoirty of people who live in council accomodation and have accomdation paid for by the council have no money as they do not work....

Or to put it more simply I have a job and therefore do not get council handouts - someone else who does not have a job gets council handouts...

yes there are people who get handouts who cannot work and for clarity they are not included in my get off their asses comment.

There clear now?
    Actually many housing benefit claimants are working:

Majority of new housing benefit claimants in work | News | Inside Housing

Since November 2008, the proportion of housing benefit claimants in work has increased from 10 per cent to 17 per cent, while the overall number of in-work claimants has doubled from 430,000 to 865,000.
    so not only are we subsidising big business with them avoiding tax I suspect we are also creating a living wage for their employees.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    If it’s that good, why not give-up and get your flash council paid for pad in Cardiff?
    Unfortunately due to complications giving birth to my daughter we are unable to have anymore children, therefore as I only have one child I wouldn't be classed as priority on the housing list.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X