• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Comfort food

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Comfort food"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    a bowl of pistachio nuts, sprinkled with salt, pepper and chille flakes
    yum yum

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Oh, I don't mind that, I thought it might have involved intermediate steps. Do you plonk it in the fridge once it's cooled down before reheating on day 3?
    Day 1 is prepping the tails, rendering the fat and cooking for 4 hours at a low temp, day two after its cooled taking the fat off the top ( easier if it has been in the fridge overnight), the taking the meat off the bone and finishing the stew off and then slow cooking for at least another 2 hours. You can eat it on day two if you like.

I like to serve it with a good buttery mash ( and a nice bottle of claret!)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Apple and ginger at the moment. (Loooaaads of apples this year).
    I bought a real ginger root in Sainsburys and have chewed a few slices of it.

Very refreshing, although I hope "neat" ginger doesn't have some ghastly side effect

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Me too.

Mmmmmmmmmm.

Strawberry, blackberry, blackcurrent or gooseberry?
    Apple and ginger at the moment. (Loooaaads of apples this year).

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I go with the Leiths version, I always make stews a few days/day in advance they taste better.

For me I always go for long slow cooking always worth the wait.
    Oh, I don't mind that, I thought it might have involved intermediate steps. Do you plonk it in the fridge once it's cooled down before reheating on day 3?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Not for me it doesn't - I'm only prepared to wait for bread and booze

I Use the Hairy Biker's recipe - simple and tasty. BBC - Food - Recipes : Oxtail stew
    I go with the Leiths version, I always make stews a few days/day in advance they taste better.

For me I always go for long slow cooking always worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Mmmmm, oxtail stew. I love making that but it does take about 3 days, worth it though!
    Not for me it doesn't - I'm only prepared to wait for bread and booze

I Use the Hairy Biker's recipe - simple and tasty. BBC - Food - Recipes : Oxtail stew

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I think I'll get a bit of oxtail next weekend, throw in a few dumplings as well....
    Mmmmm, oxtail stew. I love making that but it does take about 3 days, worth it though!

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Chicken and Chorizo - followed by plum cake with cream.. lovely!

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Walnut and charmoula soup last night.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I like my rice pudding served the same way as my revenge.
    I like mine warmed with a dollop of homemade jam in it.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Second helping of crumble tomorrow, cold out of the fridge.
    I like my rice pudding served the same way as my revenge.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I think I'll get a bit of oxtail next weekend, throw in a few dumplings as well....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    This is good with fresh bread.

Curried pumpkin and bacon soup

need to leave it for a day for the curry powder to work.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Beef Stew with dumplings or mash or in a giant yorkie pud
    Toad in the Hole with onion gravy
    Chips and Gravy
    Any sort of suet pudding but especially Sussex Pond Pudding

Have just scoffed a couple of toasted crumpets with strawberry jam and a mug of tea

Leave a comment:

Working...
X