• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the fastest speed you've ever driven, and in what?"

Collapse

• Grasser73
    replied
    120mph (indicated) on the back of my "mate's" Suzuki 900 on the M27 heading to Portsmouth back in the late 70's.
    As an inexperienced passenger, I asked him to keep to the speed limit.
    I began to suspect he didn't when he tucked in behind the fairing leaving me to 'benefit' from the full force of the air hitting me. It got up under the peak of the ill-fitting open-faced helmet (which he'd kindly let me borrow), which began moving further and further back on my head. Mercifully, at the point I thought I was going to lose the helmet, he slowed down enough for me to take one hand off the bike and pull it back on.
    when we reached Portsmouth, he claimed that he forgot I was on the back and said "Oh yes, I was supposed to take it easy for you. Well, at least you can say you know what 120 is like!!"
    Suffice to say, I never accepted his offer of a lift again.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    The sense of speed is numbed in a modern car, I get far more of thrill doing 40mph+ on a mini land yacht hammering down a beach up on two wheels with the wind in my face.

Not my video BTW

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Did 42 on my pushbike - very scary.
    60mph on a skis. Not as fast as the professionals, but quite fast enough, thank-you.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    With spaghetti on your lap!
    A penguin burger!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Mach 1.2
    With spaghetti on your lap!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I think you'll find driving over 100mph in Germany is simply called keeping up with traffic, not showing off. My 65yr old mother in law does over 100 on the autobahn and she moans at drivers who "speed"
    Even the taxi I took from Munich airport to my destination a few years ago did 100mph and more on the way.

I the summer months the outside lane occasionally slows to 160 kph.

There's usually a UK registered car at the front of that tailback, doing 100mph.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    And oldie but good story, long but worth a read:

"SR-71 Blackbird Communication to Tower"

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Mach 1.2

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I think everybody else's car should be restricted to 70 mph and have a maximum weight of 1 ton and a maximum power output of 50bhp. And I think everybody else should pay more tax.
    That is not far from reality. The UK will be introducing road pricing on top of the normal road fund licence. The system will monitor the journey and speed, where you stop and for how long.

The system will be accessed by private companies and local councils to enforce parking regulations and offences such a stopping in a yellow box.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    Fastest I've driven personally is 135 on an Suzuki SV650S and that was as fast as it would go. As a passenger I recently saw 160 in a mates R8. The R8 was much scarier than the bike as I wasn't the one in control. I haven't done over a ton since my brother nearly lost his licence (and therefore his job) over 5 years ago. His boss wrote a letter to the court saying if he got a ban he would lose his job. He "got away" with a huge fine and lots of points.

Personally I think anything under 3.5 Tonne GVW should be restricted to 100BHP. You can then chose big and useful, or small and fast. A 100BHP Caterham would be plenty fast enough. If not you need a bike ;-) And 100BHP is enough to pull 3.5 tonnes when used in a Merc sprinter. Anything else is just overkill. You can accelerate slighty better than everyone else but 99% of the time you'll be restricted by traffic in front of you not engine power. What we need to focus on now to reduce journey times is changing the way we use roads.

I'm a conflicted eco-worrier / petrol head. LOL.
    I think everybody else's car should be restricted to 70 mph and have a maximum weight of 1 ton and a maximum power output of 50bhp. And I think everybody else should pay more tax.

Leave a comment:

• Jeremiah@RHJAccountants
    replied
    140Mph in a BMW 320CI Convertable open road on the M1 at 3am in the morning thought why not see what this car can do

also managed 140 in BMW 325 Saloon

would love to try the Aplina but 165 might even be a little too fast for me!

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    5 mph on the M25.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Seriously. If driving over 100mph is exciting for some of you - you really need to get a life.
    What are the allowable forms of fun then?

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Fastest I've driven personally is 135 on an Suzuki SV650S and that was as fast as it would go. As a passenger I recently saw 160 in a mates R8. The R8 was much scarier than the bike as I wasn't the one in control. I haven't done over a ton since my brother nearly lost his licence (and therefore his job) over 5 years ago. His boss wrote a letter to the court saying if he got a ban he would lose his job. He "got away" with a huge fine and lots of points.

Personally I think anything under 3.5 Tonne GVW should be restricted to 100BHP. You can then chose big and useful, or small and fast. A 100BHP Caterham would be plenty fast enough. If not you need a bike ;-) And 100BHP is enough to pull 3.5 tonnes when used in a Merc sprinter. Anything else is just overkill. You can accelerate slighty better than everyone else but 99% of the time you'll be restricted by traffic in front of you not engine power. What we need to focus on now to reduce journey times is changing the way we use roads.

I'm a conflicted eco-worrier / petrol head. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Barley
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Did 42 on my pushbike - very scary.

Ive done 57mph on a push bike, down a big hill while at a race in Switzerland a few years back.

Same event, on a hill later in the race I saw the sickening sight of a bike broken in pieces, and the human sized dent in the side of a car which had pulled out on someone at probably going at a similar speed. Daren't look at the rider being tended to at the side of the road, wasnt fatal luckily.

Fasted in a car was about 130mph and just before I was pulled over by State Troopers having being clocked at 127mph, fine was about $150, had I been going (I think) 8mph faster it would have been straight to clink. Cant remember the car, nothing special just an average American Couple but large engine.
    Last edited by Barley; 29 October 2012, 11:03.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X