• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone used CrossCountry trains recently?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Do you think anyone ever books these kind of flights without noticing until they're en-route to Kazakhstan or somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not sure but will check.

edit: best laugh I've had all day Cheap flights from Durham Tees Valley to Newquay at Skyscanner

If only there was a direct flight from Amsterdam to Newquay - it's that transfer from London City to Gatwick that really makes the route unworkable

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Has the flight from Durham Tees to Newquay stopped?
    Not sure but will check.

edit: best laugh I've had all day http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/mm...mber-2012.html

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I'm wanting WiFi for work use, and it's a 9-hour trip, so I think I probably would have to simply travel 1st. I normally work via RDP into client's local machine but my suspicion is this will be totally unworkable.

I'll probably have to make sure I have some work stored locally if I want to get billable hours out of it!
    have done this on the virgin west coast and it works just fine - no exp of xcountry but the concept is sound

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I was delighted about the price of the trains on my last visit to the UK, which was last week actually. An excellent anti-pleb system. Just make the whole system so damn expensive that filthy oiks can't afford it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Has the flight from Durham Tees to Newquay stopped?

Also wouldn't a 3g mifi wireless hotspot be cheaper (and more reliable).

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I connected to it, but was put off when I realised how expensive it was.

Good luck with remote desktop.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm wanting WiFi for work use, and it's a 9-hour trip, so I think I probably would have to simply travel 1st. I normally work via RDP into client's local machine but my suspicion is this will be totally unworkable.

I'll probably have to make sure I have some work stored locally if I want to get billable hours out of it!

Leave a comment:

• Ted Goat
    replied
    Looking to travel all the way from Durham - Penzance (9 hour direct ) They mention they've rolled WiFi out to most/all of their long-distance trains, free in 1st-class, but I wondered if it actually works.

It's something like £90 each way STD, £230 each way 1st but if I could get a sensible amount of work done I could effectively pay off the ticket. I don't think I'd get much work done in cattle-class, and I would rather work in 1st than sit about in STD.

No free booze though on XC... outrageous.

Any recent travellers on their long-distance trains care to comment?
    What's the price of a return? I thought that was much cheaper than 2 one way tickets.

I use the wi-fi on FGW every morning.

It's free in 1st class but since don't have a 1st class ticket, I stand in the inter-carriage area between 1st and second performing a balancing act with lappy in one hand and venti latte in t'other, bumping into my fellow passengers and spilling a lot of coffee as I go

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Looking to travel all the way from Durham - Penzance (9 hour direct ) They mention they've rolled WiFi out to most/all of their long-distance trains, free in 1st-class, but I wondered if it actually works.

It's something like £90 each way STD, £230 each way 1st but if I could get a sensible amount of work done I could effectively pay off the ticket. I don't think I'd get much work done in cattle-class, and I would rather work in 1st than sit about in STD.

Did Birmingham to Newcastle recently. Client paying standard class. Had a table to work on and not that busy. Paid for wifi. It wasn't great. Very patchy coverage, just as I had with my mobile broadband. Bring a box of wine and you should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Caught one last Saturday. It advertised wifi on the window (cattle class) but my phone didn't pick it up.

I think others have suggested sitting near first...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Anyone used CrossCountry trains recently?

Anyone used CrossCountry trains recently?

Working...
X