• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should bankruptcy wipe out debt to ex-spouses?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Always remember - women bear children
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Always remember - women bear grudges
    Eh? I think you're reading a different thread to me.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    He won't get half if the marriage is brief,
    Best for him if it is.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Always remember - women bear grudges

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    However loving and caring your wife seems now you can forget that if you divorce. It is truely amazing how hateful and malicious women get when going through a divorce, honestly it is like some Jeckyle and Hyde thing.

If you divorce then assume that she will come after you with everything she can (and the courts will support her) and that she will do everything to make your life a misery from refusing to sign documents which she needs to sign (thus meaning you have to spend more money on a solicitor to chase her) to her telling the courts that she thinks (without any evidence) that your new girlfriend is a nutter and will not allow you to see your children if she is there - this is, of course, after months of her doing that already but it takes that long to get it to court etc and the entire time she has been telling the kids that you do not want to see them because your new girlfriend hates them.

Make sure that you are careful in how you arrange things and do not leave anything vulnerable because she is likely to grab it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    sad isn't it.

I suggest you work on your rental property empire with your money. That way if you do split you have some contributions to argue over. Its also a great opportunity to change the dynamics slightly.

Put off kids until she has matured enough to realise you are in the traditional female role of the minor earner/financial contributor and need reassurance. As her family have money it may not make sense for her yet.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
    To be honest I feel more secure in this marriage because she has some money. I know she won't ever need to take anything from me.
    Sorry you are very stupid if you believe that.

Just because she doesn't need the money from you won't stop her demanding or trying to take it especially if you have kids and you split up.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Then your marriage is stuffed. DO NOT HAVE KIDS. The sooner you divorce her the better - you will get half.

Or wait until she inherits then dovorce her.
    He won't get half if the marriage is brief, they have no kids, he can't prove he spent a significant sum on the household and he can still support himself.

Though I do agree with you about definitely don't have kids with that woman.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What happened, did she call you away from the PC?
    She's a wonder. I was just calling him a ******* pleb and she pulled me away double quick.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You never know what people are really like until you divorce them.
    It no doubt brings out the worst in people but you can't define someone by how they act at their worst. Or their best.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Marriage is working out good for me,

What happened, did she call you away from the PC?

Leave a comment:

• dogzilla
    replied
    To be honest I feel more secure in this marriage because she has some money. I know she won't ever need to take anything from me. I'm earning well enough and will be buying a rental property within the next year anyway.

We have talked about making an agreement now, whilst we are on talking terms At the very least it might remind us when we need it most that we were once sane and reasonable people.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    OK chaps this seems like a great thread to tell my story....

I'm married. My wifes family is very wealthy and she was given some money to buy our first home. She insisted that I didn't get a mortgage because the money was already there for it.

The plan is that she has bought the house, and has spent some money on the refurb (because we bought a dilapidated shell). I will be paying for ALL food and bills, plus I'll be buying some bits and pieces, but probably no more than £3-4k on the actual house itself.

So how should I feel in 10 years time if we break up? We've talked about this, and she says that I shouldn't expect anything and that if I'm worried about the future I should save or buy a rental property.

Never been in this situation, hoping I don't ever get into that situation, but what is a fair scenario in this respect? If I've paid bills for 10 years as well has just spent 5 months of my life managing the builders/suppliers and council for the work we are doing.

I know for a fact that if I were a woman I'd expect a full half. Being a reasonable man, I've said something along the lines of "well I don't want to take away your inheritance, but if the house has doubled in value then I would expect to geta proportion of those profits, bearing in mind that I was involved in the refurb and that I will have been paying bills all these years."

What do you chaps recon?
    And they say chivalry is dead.

FWIW, I doubt it'd be up to your wife what you'd get if you were to split up. It'd be for a divorce court judge to decide which of you had hired the best lawyer. It's unlikely that her name merely being on the mortgage and yours not being would make a blind bit of difference. Plenty of ex-wives that are later awarded half the value of a family home haven't been the named mortgage holder in their marital homes. Whether you're named on the mortgage or not, it's still an asset that comes out of your marital efforts together. Unless you've signed a prenup to the contrary, you'd be likely to get half the profits from its sale/present value should you split up. (And even a prenup isn't a sure-fire way to guarantee that one party to a marriage will be able to walk away with all the monetary wealth that the marriage has resulted in - British courts don't like pre-nuptial agreements, and usually don't honour them).

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    she says that I shouldn't expect anything and that if I'm worried about the future I should save or buy a rental property.
    Then your marriage is stuffed. DO NOT HAVE KIDS. The sooner you divorce her the better - you will get half.

Or wait until she inherits then dovorce her.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    OK chaps this seems like a great thread to tell my story....

I'm married. My wifes family is very wealthy and she was given some money to buy our first home. She insisted that I didn't get a mortgage because the money was already there for it.

The plan is that she has bought the house, and has spent some money on the refurb (because we bought a dilapidated shell). I will be paying for ALL food and bills, plus I'll be buying some bits and pieces, but probably no more than £3-4k on the actual house itself.

So how should I feel in 10 years time if we break up? We've talked about this, and she says that I shouldn't expect anything and that if I'm worried about the future I should save or buy a rental property.

Never been in this situation, hoping I don't ever get into that situation, but what is a fair scenario in this respect? If I've paid bills for 10 years as well has just spent 5 months of my life managing the builders/suppliers and council for the work we are doing.

I know for a fact that if I were a woman I'd expect a full half. Being a reasonable man, I've said something along the lines of "well I don't want to take away your inheritance, but if the house has doubled in value then I would expect to geta proportion of those profits, bearing in mind that I was involved in the refurb and that I will have been paying bills all these years."

What do you chaps recon?
    If you wouldn't get half the profits I reckon she should be paying half the bills.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X