• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Daily 'no, seriously dude, wtf'?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I expect the SQL Server 2000 machine cost a lot less than the mainframe!

TCA / TCO anyone ?
    Can't be bothered getting the figures but on my mainframe I can run hundreds of OS'es and each one running a database appliction (DB2, MySQL, Oracle, whatever) I think you'll find in the end that the mainframe will be cheaper to maintain...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    For some extra context re. 100 records per minute, as it happens I loaded a table into a mainframe test database just before lunch, 2.1 million 217 column records in 18.5 minutes.

Not particularly quick compared to the Linux machine cited, admittedly.

The same data, transformed into csv format, loads on SQL Servers running SQL Server 2000, on live servers also handling normal daytime load, in about 45 minutes.
    I expect the SQL Server 2000 machine cost a lot less than the mainframe!

TCA / TCO anyone ?

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    For some extra context re. 100 records per minute, as it happens I loaded a table into a mainframe test database just before lunch, 2.1 million 217 column records in 18.5 minutes.

Not particularly quick compared to the Linux machine cited, admittedly.

The same data, transformed into csv format, loads on SQL Servers running SQL Server 2000, on live servers also handling normal daytime load, in about 45 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    A little secret, Windows or Linux, if you're using Intel Processors you're still going to hit latency issues...
    POWER7, Micropartitioning and DLPAR, it's the future, like Garlic Bread.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    A little secret, Windows or Linux, if you're using Intel Processors you're still going to hit latency issues...
    You clever little permie you

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    One of my clients has shifted all the servers to linux - this means more money can be spent on the hardware, resulting in beefier machines. 50 million records loaded in a few minutes. That was quite impressive.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    One of my clients has shifted all the servers to linux - this means more money can be spent on the hardware, resulting in beefier machines. 50 million records loaded in a few minutes. That was quite impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've never worked anywhere like that Mich. You just pick bad clients... or perhaps it's the case that if it wasn't for safety-paranoid companies, you'd be out of a job!
    No, I'm at a decent client now; it's not a huge company, just about 200 people so it isn't infected with manageritis just yet. I've been to a few crap ones though.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    WRONG!

Sorry BP, but I have to fundamentally disagree with you there. CPUs SHOULD be cheaper than coders, but they aren't because adding a cpu involves making formal requests, countersigned by a director, to the bloated purchasing department, then having the request denied because you haven't filled in part III section b, subsection iv of the ISO9000 purchasing request form, which means you have to fill in a new form, get it countersigned by a director and approved by the compliance officer who's having a day off for his 'elf and safety course, then awaiting purchasing to send you confirmation, then waiting for the preferred supplier to deliver according to their SLA, which states that said CPU will be delivered within 6 weeks (in other words, in 6 weeks) of receipt of countersigned and compliance stamped order form. Then said CPU waits around in a mysterious postage holding centre known only to the purchasing people, and eventually, after nobody's been able to do any work for 6 weeks, well you know what I mean. Somebody with an MBA has ensured that CPUs are expensive.
    All fair comment. But don't you have to do the same thing for coders these days?

I am so pleased I am at a hedge fund these days. Walk round to see hardware purchaser. Chat about his fitness regime. Ask for what I want. Get it a couple of days later.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I've never worked anywhere like that Mich. You just pick bad clients... or perhaps it's the case that if it wasn't for safety-paranoid companies, you'd be out of a job!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Recently I was working at an IB in London and they spent thousands of hours coding time trying to improve their overnight batch. I think they reduced it from 9 hours to 8 hours. Then someone realized that the database was running on 10 year old cpus - just replacing them reduced to 4 hours.

cpus are cheaper than coders
    WRONG!

Sorry BP, but I have to fundamentally disagree with you there. CPUs SHOULD be cheaper than coders, but they aren't because adding a cpu involves making formal requests, countersigned by a director, to the bloated purchasing department, then having the request denied because you haven't filled in part III section b, subsection iv of the ISO9000 purchasing request form, which means you have to fill in a new form, get it countersigned by a director and approved by the compliance officer who's having a day off for his 'elf and safety course, then awaiting purchasing to send you confirmation, then waiting for the preferred supplier to deliver according to their SLA, which states that said CPU will be delivered within 6 weeks (in other words, in 6 weeks) of receipt of countersigned and compliance stamped order form. Then said CPU waits around in a mysterious postage holding centre known only to the purchasing people, and eventually, after nobody's been able to do any work for 6 weeks, well you know what I mean. Somebody with an MBA has ensured that CPUs are expensive.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Why are you not running systems in parallel?

MF in 'Director' Mode.
    It is an option.

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    1000 a minute? What are you running? A ZX Spectrum?

Tell them to buy a nice big mainframe. It's what they're built for.
    Don't diss the speccy man .

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    You really took control of that situation and used your experience and knowledge to resolve the issue.
    Thanks

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    The system isnt Epicor's Vantage, by any chance?
    No

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    FTFY
    Well it rhymes with crap.

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Is it VMware on a glorified PC?
    Yup

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Suity, in "saving the world, one project at a time" mode

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    Let's give it more memory and bigger ram!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Recently I was working at an IB in London and they spent thousands of hours coding time trying to improve their overnight batch. I think they reduced it from 9 hours to 8 hours. Then someone realized that the database was running on 10 year old cpus - just replacing them reduced to 4 hours.

cpus are cheaper than coders.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X