• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contact Lenses - who wears them on here?"

Collapse

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    My father is in his 90s, and had always worn glasses (not sure whether for short sight or long sight). Last year he had laser surgery to fix this and his astigmatism, and he says his eyesight is practically perfect now.

He doesn't need glasses any more, and can still drive - He drove down to the South of France a couple of months ago!

So I'd say laser surgery is a pretty safe option these days, and will almost certainly have a satisfactory result.
    Cheers for that. Astigmatism is my problem too: right eye is pretty sharp, left eye a bit of a blur in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post

Anyone on here had Laser Eye Surgery? Expensive? Any good? Or a ruddy waste of time and you've gone back to glasses or contacts?
    My father is in his 90s, and had always worn glasses (not sure whether for short sight or long sight). Last year he had laser surgery to fix this and his astigmatism, and he says his eyesight is practically perfect now.

He doesn't need glasses any more, and can still drive - He drove down to the South of France a couple of months ago!

So I'd say laser surgery is a pretty safe option these days, and will almost certainly have a satisfactory result.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Absolutely....

... and all the hair transplant surgeons are bald.

Then again as a woman I wouldn't know if hair transplant surgeons are bald.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I wouldn't have laser surgery for many reasons including every time I've been to a hospital (not for my own treatment I should add) the ophthalmic consultants and other doctors all wear glasses.
    Absolutely....

... and all the hair transplant surgeons are bald.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    One of the worse things to do particularly if you are younger. Younger people have a tendency to leave go to sleep with contacts in their eyes when they are drunk.
    I wish.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    How bad ARE you? I thought they could fix up to something like -8 or worse these days (possibly needing a second procedure).
    -10.5 in one eye, -9 in the other - blind as a bat

The thought of the surgery is bad enough, having it done twice

But have no problems at all with lenses, vision's better with them than specs. Definitely prefer driving with them in, especially for peripheral vision.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    use contacts for nights out.
    One of the worse things to do particularly if you are younger. Younger people have a tendency to leave go to sleep with contacts in their eyes when they are drunk.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I find contacts rubbish for VDU work, TV, driving etc as your gaze as mostly straight forward so they tend to dry and stick.
    You obviously don't blink enough. Some people don't automatically.

I find contacts better for anything long distance i.e. driving as when I look side ways there is no gap in vision.

Reading it doesn't matter whether I'm wearing glasses or lens.

I wouldn't have laser surgery for many reasons including every time I've been to a hospital (not for my own treatment I should add) the ophthalmic consultants and other doctors all wear glasses.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I can see the point of contact lenses for sport but I think my sister for example looks far better with glasses on than with blood shot weepy eyes. I suppose that was due to the creepy crawlies having a good feed.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    I'm too short-sighted for laser surgery to completely 'cure' me, I'd still need specs.
    How bad ARE you? I thought they could fix up to something like -8 or worse these days (possibly needing a second procedure).

There are some newer things coming in, one I read about is where they surgically implant a tiny (and I do mean tiny) lens into your eye, like an internal contact lens. Non-Laser Eye Procedures - Intra Ocular Lenses - Ultralase UK

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    You wont get that with daily disposables, I wear glasses most of the time but contacts for sport/going out which also happens to be a cheap way of doing it.

I find contacts rubbish for VDU work, TV, driving etc as your gaze as mostly straight forward so they tend to dry and stick.
    This is my plan I think. Stick with galsses for work and use contacts for nights out.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    You wont get that with daily disposables, I wear glasses most of the time but contacts for sport/going out which also happens to be a cheap way of doing it.

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    I wore lenses for 20+ years. Then my eyes decided to reject them (not uncommon according to my optician) leaving me with the the option of glasses or laser surgery. I went for the latter and don't regret it at all. In fact, I wish I'd done it much sooner.

I avoided the High Street cowboys and went to a private eye clinic. The surgeon I saw had already performed the same procedure on his wife and daughter which was reassurance enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I am too short sighted to function without corrected vision. I wear specs most of the time and contact lenses at other times. Now that I'm past 40, I will need to start thinking about a near distance prescription. I expect I will wear single vision contacts most of the time and then have some off the shelf readers when I need them.

I know plenty of people who are happy with laser surgery. I have also worked with eye surgeons, none of whom would have laser surgery, mainly because they are very risk averse, as they see the problems.
    I'm too short-sighted for laser surgery to completely 'cure' me, I'd still need specs.

So for that reason I'm out, contacts do me nicely and have done for the past 25 years.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    That was just the question I was about to ask. My eyesight has gone a bit poor recently. Never worn glasses or contact lenses. I think I'd find contact lenses too annoying to wear and mess around with. Anyone on here had Laser Eye Surgery? Expensive? Any good? Or a ruddy waste of time and you've gone back to glasses or contacts?
    I am too short sighted to function without corrected vision. I wear specs most of the time and contact lenses at other times. Now that I'm past 40, I will need to start thinking about a near distance prescription. I expect I will wear single vision contacts most of the time and then have some off the shelf readers when I need them.

I know plenty of people who are happy with laser surgery. I have also worked with eye surgeons, none of whom would have laser surgery, mainly because they are very risk averse, as they see the problems.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X