• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Eat too much get fat and Alzheim.. Do I know you?"

Collapse

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It didn't look like that comment was related to diabetes, but general healthiness.
    Fair comment.

Fried food is fine provided that:
    It wasn't fed on crap during its lifetime
    It isn't fried in "healthy" vegetable oil
    It isn't eaten with carbs
    It was insulin response and possible diabetes/not Alzheimer's that I had in mind, but indeed the first point is nothing to do with that, and the second probably isn't. So I wasn't sticking to the point either. OK. Busted.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Too much alcohol is bad for you but not for the same reasons as carbs are bad for you.

This is just my opinion. DYOR.
    The fact that they're packed full of fat doesn't matter in the context of a discussion about consumption of carbs leading to an increase in Type 2 diabetes and possibly Alzheimer's.

Please please, are we actually reading the articles, or just using this as a springboard for our own dietary prejudices?
    It didn't look like that comment was related to diabetes, but general healthiness.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If they were high quality burgers and kebab, probably. But they're normally packed full of fat. The fact it's nasty gristly meat probably doesn't really matter on a health angle.
    The fact that they're packed full of fat doesn't matter in the context of a discussion about consumption of carbs leading to an increase in Type 2 diabetes and possibly Alzheimer's.

Please please, are we actually reading the articles, or just using this as a springboard for our own dietary prejudices?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I sort of agree. Junk food contains too much salt. But if you ate burgers(no bun), preferably with salad or veg, i reckon it would be fine. Similarly kebabs with no pitta is fine.

Alcohol is a poison.
    If they were high quality burgers and kebab, probably. But they're normally packed full of fat. The fact it's nasty gristly meat probably doesn't really matter on a health angle.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So are there stats showing a massive increase in Alzheimer's in the west, correlating with the obesity and T2 diabetes 'epidemic'?

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Because if he is a loonie leftie then everything he says will be without merit or truth?
    Sources and research for that assertion, please?

Oh wait, we're not doing science here......

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Why don't you try addressing yourself to the content of the article rather than his name and supposed position on the political spectrum?
    Because if he is a loonie leftie then everything he says will be without merit or truth?

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I haven't checked, but the name rings a bell. Isn't George Moonbat a loonie left amateur economist?

If so, then what the flip does he know about diet and Altheimers? Probably no less than economics come to think of it.
    Why don't you try addressing yourself to the content of the article rather than his name and supposed position on the political spectrum?

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I haven't checked, but the name rings a bell. Isn't George Moonbat a loonie left amateur economist?

If so, then what the flip does he know about diet and Altheimers? Probably no less than economics come to think of it.
    Defintely leftie, but he's a jornalist who writes about things. Most of his artciles appear to be properly researched, by which I means at least he's read some papers before forming an opinion on something. At least he's good enough to credit his sources, and declare his interests - in fact he's running a campaign for all journalists to do the same, but none have subscribed. I guess they have to stop taking bribes from major corporations to promote their products or pressure politcal figures if they were going to do that. I best most journos earn more from backhanders than their paper.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    Alzheimer's could be the most catastrophic impact of junk food | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

Don't know where the link to junk food came in, but it appears eating the wrong type of food could be the cause of Alheimers.

Unfounded medical opinions please...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    You mean you don't use a plate, knife and fork? Are you sas's butler?
    I have been known to use cutlery when ingesting a doner teller, though I prefer a pitta stuffed with lots of salad.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    No it's not, the grease drips down your hand and shirt.
    You mean you don't use a plate, knife and fork? Are you sas's butler?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    kebabs with no pitta is fine.
    No it's not, the grease drips down your hand and shirt.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Too much alcohol is bad for you but not for the same reasons as carbs are bad for you.

This is just my opinion. DYOR.
    I sort of agree. Junk food contains too much salt. But if you ate burgers(no bun), preferably with salad or veg, i reckon it would be fine. Similarly kebabs with no pitta is fine.

Alcohol is a poison.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Absolutely. They are 2 quite different conditions with 2 quite different original causes, and indeed with similar end results caused by opposite immediate conditions. i.e. to (oversimplify):

Type 1 diabetes: you are born with an inability to produce enough insulin, so the insulin mechanism doesn't work.
    Type 2 diabetes: you can make plenty of insulin. Problem is, you have eaten so much sugar for so long that you have overproduced insulin so much that your tissues have overloaded and ceased to respond to the insulin, which you then produce in ever-increasing supply in an attempt to trigger the insulin response that you need for all that sugar. So again the insulin response doesn't work for you, but for the opposite reason.

It's a real shame that these 2 different conditions go by the same name.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X