• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "economic conditions are worse the further you go"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Nah, I said the basics. You've got to keep your eye on the bottom line or your budget can disappear in a puff of theories and fiddling.
    That's not economics IMO, it's management & accountancy.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Sorry, I thought you meant economics as in the academic subject. Game theory and demand curves and stuff.
    Nah, I said the basics. You've got to keep your eye on the bottom line or your budget can disappear in a puff of theories and fiddling.

Rather like bank assets. Well, rather like UK plc actually, and several southern European eurozone countries.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Basic economics is knowing you must balance the books, and you don't get something for nothing.
    Sorry, I thought you meant economics as in the academic subject. Game theory and demand curves and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I don't think understand is the right word here. Accept without questioning would be a better way of putting it, and the reason for that is that it tells them what they want to hear, which is what they already believe.

Unfortunately very few people on either side seem to understand complicated economics. Those that do tend toward the middle ground.
    If I didn't know you better I'd say that sounds like leftie waffle.

Basic economics is knowing you must balance the books, and you don't get something for nothing.

It's amazing how many politicians of all hues don't seem to grasp that.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    right-wingers are more likely to understand basic economics.
    I don't think understand is the right word here. Accept without questioning would be a better way of putting it, and the reason for that is that it tells them what they want to hear, which is what they already believe.

Unfortunately very few people on either side seem to understand complicated economics. Those that do tend toward the middle ground.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    A opposed to the left wingers who are credulous and stupid.

I think that left wing credulity and stupidity is just a different flavour from right wing credulity and stupidity.
    Indeed. Political views are more a circle than a line. Extreme left and right wing get close.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The right wing element is new to me but makes sense when you consider that right wingers are credulous and stupid.
    A opposed to the left wingers who are credulous and stupid.

I think that left wing credulity and stupidity is just a different flavour from right wing credulity and stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I agree lefties are generally the last people to help the poor and do seemingly altruistic/philanthropic stuff, but as regards Gordon Brown my understanding is that he has given most of his speech earnings to charitable causes.
    It amazes me that people will pay to hear Gordon Brown speaking. Is there really nothing for which no market can be found?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    No, by definition right-wingers are more likely to understand basic economics.

HTH
    He shoots he scores!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The right wing element is new to me but makes sense when you consider that right wingers are credulous and stupid.
    No, by definition right-wingers are more likely to understand basic economics.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It's ****ing awesome in Birmingham - you should all move here!

On the other thought best not.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    wasn't broken.

When you next walk by any old hospitals have a look at who paid for them before they were nationalised and many still do afterwards.

Now you don't get much more tough right wing businessman than this guy but note what his OBE was presented for, it wasn't for flogging 99 cones.

Duncan Bannatyne to climb Mount Kilimanjaro for charity | Deadline News

I'm out - Theo builds schools in the third world.
    Theo Paphitis - Charity

Even my lunch buddy Beardy does it.

Virgin Unite - founded by Richard Branson and the Virgin Group

Call me Dave:
    David Cameron's Charity Work, Events and Causes
    only "make a wish" no celebrity loaded, quangos or faith linked ones.

Shoot the strikers Jezza

Jeremy Clarkson's Charity Work, Events and Causes

Note the bleeding heart's on here:

Norwood | Who we are | Our celebrity supporters

Boris, Gideon, Piers, Stelios, the wicked witch (I'll give you that one).

If you think they are a sham or dodgy you can join the journalists that are bound to be investigating them.

Now first few results for the lefties :

B'liar
    Tony Blair's charity refused aid funding - Telegraph
    (Hmm not raising it just getting his snout in government AID?)
    and the charities listed are fairly star studded.
    Tony Blair's Charity Work, Events and Causes

Snot Goblin

So he took the Nigerians pensions as well FFS they are starving. at least B'Liar took the money off American Universities.
    BBC News - Gordon Brown earns £1.4m since leaving Number 10

I have more respect for e Gordo

Gordon Brown's Charity Work, Events and Causes

oh look clean sweep for Milipede (maybe he isn't enough of a star?)

Search results for 'david miliband'

and
    busy Bee

Search results for 'toynbee'
    polly toynbee charity - Google Search

do feel free to compare the lefty public supported - its the governments fault chattering classes with the filthy greedy capitalists and their measurable charity work.
    I agree lefties are generally the last people to help the poor and do seemingly altruistic/philanthropic stuff, but as regards Gordon Brown my understanding is that he has given most of his speech earnings to charitable causes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    FTFY
    wasn't broken.

When you next walk by any old hospitals have a look at who paid for them before they were nationalised and many still do afterwards.

Now you don't get much more tough right wing businessman than this guy but note what his OBE was presented for, it wasn't for flogging 99 cones.

Duncan Bannatyne to climb Mount Kilimanjaro for charity | Deadline News

I'm out - Theo builds schools in the third world.
    Theo Paphitis - Charity

Even my lunch buddy Beardy does it.

Virgin Unite - founded by Richard Branson and the Virgin Group

Call me Dave:
    David Cameron's Charity Work, Events and Causes
    only "make a wish" no celebrity loaded, quangos or faith linked ones.

Shoot the strikers Jezza

Jeremy Clarkson's Charity Work, Events and Causes

Note the bleeding heart's on here:

Norwood | Who we are | Our celebrity supporters

Boris, Gideon, Piers, Stelios, the wicked witch (I'll give you that one).

If you think they are a sham or dodgy you can join the journalists that are bound to be investigating them.

Now first few results for the lefties :

B'liar
    Tony Blair's charity refused aid funding - Telegraph
    (Hmm not raising it just getting his snout in government AID?)
    and the charities listed are fairly star studded.
    Tony Blair's Charity Work, Events and Causes

Snot Goblin
    Mr Brown's most lucrative speech, in Nigeria, earned £74,936
    So he took the Nigerians pensions as well FFS they are starving. at least B'Liar took the money off American Universities.
    BBC News - Gordon Brown earns £1.4m since leaving Number 10

I have more respect for e Gordo

Gordon Brown's Charity Work, Events and Causes

oh look clean sweep for Milipede (maybe he isn't enough of a star?)

Search results for 'david miliband'

and
    busy Bee

Search results for 'toynbee'
    polly toynbee charity - Google Search

do feel free to compare the lefty public supported - its the governments fault chattering classes with the filthy greedy capitalists and their measurable charity work.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    ownership combining with optimism providing a better outlook is hardly a shock.

Why are right leaning individuals more likely to be positive? That's easy, lefties tend to spend their whole time complaining about how 'X' deprived minority groups are mistreated and live in deprivation while they consume their bottle of Krug.The right normally just get on with helping themselves and ignoring them.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Why are right leaning individuals more likely to be positive? That's easy, lefties tend to spend their whole time complaining about how 'X' deprived minority groups are mistreated and live in deprivation while they consume their bottle of Krug.The right normally just get on with helping them or ignoring them.
    You do realise the data shows that right leaning individuals are more negative don't you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X