• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RBS 'Computer Glitch'"

Collapse

• tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
    Probably more likely ... this time of year is about a week after they last rotated the offshore resources, the latest crop of 9 year olds having newly 'graduated' from their 'seats of learning'.
    I guess these would be the 'localised' MS courses that Europeans are forbidden from studying?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    But bobs live in a world where competition for jobs is high and they get fired for farting. What would you do in that culture??
    If banks and governments did not apply the 'we need more slaves to build these pyramids and I'm not gonna pay anything' philosophy, they would not even be a cog in the machine and therefore they would not even have the dilemma.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It was my leaving present

HTH
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    last time this happened was around the same time "19 June 2012"

Guessing the person who knows how it works is on holiday again.
    They were offshored.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• lexington_spurs
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post

Probably more likely ... this time of year is about a week after they last rotated the offshore resources, the latest crop of 9 year olds having newly 'graduated' from their 'seats of learning'.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    bankers

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    Unless their systems are the biggest bag of tulipe then it really shouldn't be possible to lose an entire days transactions. Not a trivial task but it would be relatively straightforward to identify what is missing and to recreate and apply the missing transactions.

That does of course use the major assumption that the people supporting the systems really know how it works.
    Oh, and I hope that they took a copy of all the mainframe GDGs before the relevant ones cycled off and were lost to posterity.

I have this vision of all the bobs frantically looking through their 'knowledge transfer' documents hoping that the section that details what to do in a complete cock-up situation is actually in there and has just been missed out of the TOC.
    Nail on the head just there. They make Lloyds look technically competent and very change capable.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Back in the news:

RBS payment failure could last days - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    knowing that one of our friends is still having serious problems with Ulster Bank i went investigating and found this

MoneySavingExpert.com Forums - View Single Post - Ulster/RBS Bank problems

Ooops springs to mind.
    Unless their systems are the biggest bag of tulipe then it really shouldn't be possible to lose an entire days transactions. Not a trivial task but it would be relatively straightforward to identify what is missing and to recreate and apply the missing transactions.

That does of course use the major assumption that the people supporting the systems really know how it works.
    Oh, and I hope that they took a copy of all the mainframe GDGs before the relevant ones cycled off and were lost to posterity.

I have this vision of all the bobs frantically looking through their 'knowledge transfer' documents hoping that the section that details what to do in a complete cock-up situation is actually in there and has just been missed out of the TOC.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    knowing that one of our friends is still having serious problems with Ulster Bank i went investigating and found this

MoneySavingExpert.com Forums - View Single Post - Ulster/RBS Bank problems

Ooops springs to mind.

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    He went on a (UK) sacking spree soon after he was hired.
    They actually hired a large number of analysts from the UK Rating Agencies to run their credit risk departments in 2010/2011. Perhaps this is what Hester meant by the improvement ?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Hester's forgoing his bonus. Damned good of him.

RBS chief to forgo bonus after debacle - FT.com

How long's he been in charge? When did they get rid of the staff that knew the systems?
    He went on a (UK) sacking spree soon after he was hired.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    When did they get rid of the staff that knew the systems?
    There are some El Reg articles with this info, but I CBA to find links for you

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Hester's forgoing his bonus. Damned good of him.

RBS chief to forgo bonus after debacle - FT.com

That may have arisen from old systems and things that were before my time, but I think we could reasonably be expected to have improved things since then and clearly we didn’t improve them enough, so it wouldn’t cross my mind to have a bonus this year,
    How long's he been in charge? When did they get rid of the staff that knew the systems?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X