• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What it means to be a contractor"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Ask the client which one he wants.

1. The deadline missed
    2. Quality reduced
    3. To pay you more money so you'll be prepared to flog your guts out to make his deadline. (or get a subby in)
    This is it; you have to find out what the client really wants. If he just wants to save money, maybe you can take a rate cut for certain days and work at home. If he really wants the job done, show him a plan of how to get it done quicker at the same rate, but don't pin yourself down to 12 months a a lower rate.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Ask the client which one he wants.

1. The deadline missed
    2. Quality reduced
    3. To pay you more money so you'll be prepared to flog your guts out to make his deadline. (or get a subby in)

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    I bet if they cut you in half they'd find the word 'FAT USELESS W4NKER' running through you like a stick of rock.

:myhero
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Telling the client, that yes, you'll take the cheaper transfer flight to San Diego via JFK and SFO (as opposed to going direct) next month so it saves them $1400. But then telling them that you'll be charging $4000 for 4 days for the 2 x 16 hours worth of travel it going to take to get to their site.
    I bet if they cut you in half they'd find the word 'CONTRACTOR' running through you like a stick of rock.

:myhero

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Telling the client, that yes, you'll take the cheaper transfer flight to San Diego via JFK and SFO (as opposed to going direct) next month so it saves them $1400. But then telling them that you'll be charging $4000 for 4 days for the 2 x 16 hours worth of travel it going to take to get to their site.

W****RS.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    He he he, he's not is he?

Ooooh my goodness please say he is.
    Maybe I'm getting him confused with sasburu. Easily done.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Been asked to extend fo 12 months but with a rate cut.

I ask myself, WWMFD?

If they want a rate cut and you need the work, agree to 2 months. Don´t let youself get pinned down for 12 months on a tulipty rate. That´s the trap of permie reasoning, more ´certainty´ for less money. In reality it´s false certainty and you lose money when even if you aren´t earning you could be doing courses to upgrade your CV and earn more in future. The only certainty you get is that you´ll be earning peanuts for the next 12 months, so don´t fall into the trap. Take 2 months and look for something better.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 20 June 2012, 21:25.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Go permie?
    He he he, he's not is he?

Ooooh my goodness please say he is.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied

I ask myself, WWMFD?
    Go permie?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I have a deadline 2 weeks from today, and I have a months worth of work, I cant really charge more than I am. So I could let the deadline slip
    after all, if I ramp up the effort, I get no more dosh
    and the deadline issue is down to poor management, not my problem.

so what do I do ?

I have been working weekends and 10 hour days. next week I go up to 12 hour days, then 16 if ness.

these b@stards and their f*ckng deadline wont beat me

I am a contractor
    : humble pawn in a management power struggle

Hth

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    so what do I do ?
    Why do you care what you do as long as you can invoice?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Descope descope descope, point out the spec is wrong and that the bobs are useless

Suityou
    There's patent pending on the suity model

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

I ask myself, WWMFD?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    I have a deadline 2 weeks from today, and I have a months worth of work, I cant really charge more than I am. So I could let the deadline slip
    after all, if I ramp up the effort, I get no more dosh
    and the deadline issue is down to poor management, not my problem.

so what do I do ?

I have been working weekends and 10 hour days. next week I go up to 12 hour days, then 16 if ness.

these b@stards and their f*ckng deadline wont beat me

I am a contractor
    Say what!?

How about

Prioritise the work

Decide what is non essential and that is not required

Inform client you're working towards the deadline but, there's a risk if the deadline is maintained, the deliverable may not maintain its quality unless other resources assist in delivery.

Oh, wait.............................

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Descope descope descope, point out the spec is wrong and that the suityou is useless

the bobs
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X