• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trees in my garden, post burglary."

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Partly to do with personal reassurance as well, and no I'm not planning all my evenings looking for dog owners leaving their pets tulip on the pavement.

Now ordered POE+ switch and 4 nice 1080p IR cameras, being a bit of a geek will bring some techy enjoyment too, setting it up.

Hopefully it'll deter the scum too, and if not the built in Tazer should do the trick . If only.
    Absolutely make sure it whirrs and follows movement, blinking lights are good, scary because you wonder whether it's a silent alarm. I know someone who just left on a red led in his car blinking. No alarm at all, cost a few pence down at the electronic shop.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Partly to do with personal reassurance as well, and no I'm not planning all my evenings looking for dog owners leaving their pets tulip on the pavement.

Now ordered POE+ switch and 4 nice 1080p IR cameras, being a bit of a geek will bring some techy enjoyment too, setting it up.

Hopefully it'll deter the scum too, and if not the built in Tazer should do the trick . If only.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    That's completely lost on me, do you have me confused with someone else?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    No one, on a street of 30+ houses did anything.

Were you part of the dog tulip police too? It doesn't surprise me that they guy who wants cctv to spy on his neighbours had no one come forward to help. They probably still laugh about it now.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why provide them with weaponry?
    You don't put petrol in it you dummy, or batteries if it's electric - but as soon as they put on the hockey mask and take the chainsaw you'll be able to defend yourself properly with that long range sniper rifle from a mile away.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    In my view, as another "burglee" , its not going to make a jot of difference - the CCTV will show someone with their face obscured.

If your neighbours are anything like the ones I've had over the past 4 or 5 years in the UK ; they won't even report it if they do see anything , for fear of reprisal.

We had someone throw a lead pole through our front window on a terraced street in the middle of the day , and load up a van. Ok, we'd just moved in about a week before - but if we had been in the room that was breached we could have been seriously hurt by the projectile.

No one, on a street of 30+ houses did anything.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I also need to check what I am allowed to view with the CCTV system, would be nice to catch some fly tippers, irresponsible dog owners, etc.. on the road outside
    Have heard though, that this is not allowed and there are shed loads of data protection/human rights she-ite to cover.
    Seriously? So you are going to come home spot some poo on the verge then go through days of recordings to try and find who did it?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Put a bloody chainsaw and a hockey mask near the back door, that would put off most burglars.
    Why provide them with weaponry?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Something crunchy underfoot, between the road and the trees, lights that randomly switch on and off on a timer,
    park in the garage, drive or street randomly. get wind chimes everywhere. These are all low cost in terms of monitoring and having to 'do something' like stand on guard all night.

my security lights were turned so they faced the wrong way, how they got up there I will never know.

What saved me losing much was my cat, believe it or not. It jumped up onto the bed in the middle of the night and I was up and down the stairs. They got an empty briefcase, my coat and some cds. It could have been a lot worse if it hadnt been for that cat

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Put a bloody chainsaw and a hockey mask near the back door, that would put off most burglars.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    One of these should do the job.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    All you will get it is a clearer picture of someone in a hoodie with face covered if you chop it down so I wouldn't bother.

Make your home less attractive than next door with a visible alarm and cctv and then just carry on. No need for the knee jerk reaction IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    Could be a nice little project for my Raspberry Pi. I might have a look at the weekend to see if ZoneMinder or something similar will run on the RPi, hooked up to a couple of cameras.
    Sounds like a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• Normie
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The ZeitGhost Virtual Random Bark Machine (tm) is currently under development.
    Could be a nice little project for my Raspberry Pi. I might have a look at the weekend to see if ZoneMinder or something similar will run on the RPi, hooked up to a couple of cameras.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    I was just thinking the same recently. I am planning a 2 metre brick wall and electric gates and whilst they may look good, would they actually hide the twots whilst they are breaking in the house?

Have CCTV, alarm and security lights everywhere already.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X