• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this going to be dot com bust all over again?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I was at an event where they were recruiting coders and they advertised it as being 'super-exciting... often you'll be releasing a change onto hundreds of millions of users immediately you finish working on it'. That didn't inspire a lot of confidence...
    You'll also be coding in PHP

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    On a technology stance the thing is quite amazing I must say, the association tables must be feckin huge. You must have balls of hardened steel running in a schema change on that stuff.
    I was at an event where they were recruiting coders and they advertised it as being 'super-exciting... often you'll be releasing a change onto hundreds of millions of users immediately you finish working on it'. That didn't inspire a lot of confidence...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I am 'looking after' an application for a place that takes 90 hits to the DB to form a page on the website. The developers do not think that is an issue but what do I know.
    Back in the day. I came across stuff that did hundreds of indexed file accesses to output 20 or so lines to a dumb terminal.

They assumed the system would cache anything they read more than once.

Not when you only had about 4 MB of RAM on a multiuser system...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I am 'looking after' an application for a place that takes 90 hits to the DB to form a page on the website. The developers do not think that is an issue but what do I know.
    I dealt with someone who complained about that. He managed to remove 31 such calls by caching the data and proudly announced this achievement. It explained the strange panicky phone calls I was getting from the end users asking why they seemed to be changing user account every time they refreshed the page.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Ta Nick. I remember seeing the headline but I didn't have time to read it then.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    But that does not mean its worth 100 bllion. That is a ridiculous valuation
    If they make say 10 bln profit per year then yield on shares would be 10%.

It's not impossible for them to make profits of that level.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Technical guff:

Exploring the software behind Facebook, the world’s largest site (from 2010 - the volumes are obviously larger today)
    Facebool and Open Source
    And from a few weeks ago: Exclusive: a behind-the-scenes look at Facebook release engineering | Ars Technica

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Cheers!

That is my monday sorted.

"you got slack minestrone?"

"reviewing some stuff, speak to me during the week when I am free"

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I think facebook is a pile of cack and do not use it but about a quarter of the folk on the train in the morning with smartphones are on it and I think that could be said of most of the trains in the world. It has a great deal of worth.

On a technology stance the thing is quite amazing I must say, the association tables must be feckin huge. You must have balls of hardened steel running in a schema change on that stuff.
    Technical guff:

Exploring the software behind Facebook, the world’s largest site (from 2010 - the volumes are obviously larger today)
    Facebool and Open Source
    Last edited by Sysman; 13 May 2012, 14:12.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    The growth of Facebook has been immense just like Google. It even was responsible to get rid of a dictator who ruled for decades !

But that does not mean its worth 100 bllion. That is a ridiculous valuation and just shows that in silicon valley they just pull a figure out of the hat. Problem is a lot of investors including retail investors will just jump in and buy the shares thinking they are gold dust. They do not want to repeat the mistake of not investing in Google when they could. Only in Facebook's case, I am most certain that the share price will crash at some point. The only people who will walk away with a laugh on their face will be the Facebook employees and original investors who are waiting to dump their shares and make millions. A lot of MS and Goog employees jumped to FB few years ago and bagged a lot of shares and have been waiting for the IPO so they can cash in and then jump to another pre IPO company.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think facebook is a pile of cack and do not use it but about a quarter of the folk on the train in the morning with smartphones are on it and I think that could be said of most of the trains in the world. It has a great deal of worth.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Or more like 30% of what Zynga earns from Facebook users is Facebook's revenue
    I made a mistake. Zynga Accounted for 15 Percent of Facebook's Revenues in Q1 - Tricia Duryee - Commerce - AllThingsD says that Zynga is 15% of facebook revenues.

Even so its far too much revenue when you consider how that will disappear as Zynga move towards mobile gaming.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    And Zynga is 30% of facebooks revenue.
    Or more like 30% of what Zynga earns from Facebook users is Facebook's revenue

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Wiki: Burn and crash

Methinks eek may have had a kerrrrchinggg time there
    saw me happily through the problems of 2001 and 2002.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X