• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "In the process of....."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    That is not a very efficient use of yours, the clients or the agents time.

Oh well, you're obviously not an analyst...
    Depends if it's local. If it is he should scope it out before. If it's not, doing so on the day of the gig means you need a bit of time to figure it out.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Everyone works differently. I attend the interview and go in with the intention of getting the role. I do my research of the location on the day in terms of whether I like the place (General area and the client) or not. I know I can google a lot of stuff, but I am a believer of seeing is believing in a lot of things.

If it turns out that the commute or the hotel costs are too high, then it is a case of either negotiate, walk away or bite the bullet and take the role, especially if I think the role adds value to my CV, but this is dependant on how I get on with the people interviewing me.

I found out from someone I am working with at current clientco that there is a free bus service from the station to the client site, which is a bonus, and helps towards keeping my costs down.

There's more to it than what I am saying on here, but the above is just some of the things I prefer to find out on the day.
    That is not a very efficient use of yours, the clients or the agents time.

Oh well, you're obviously not an analyst...

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    WHS.

I need to know in advance about whether I want to be there and what premium I put on working in a particular location. Once I know that, then I can factor that into whether I'm interested in the role or not, really. Once I know if I'm interested or not fussed, I can determine how hard I need to try at the interview.

Normally, I know roughly how much it will cost to be in a location before the CV has even gone into the client - how else can you price yourself accurately without knowing what the costs might be??
    Everyone works differently. I attend the interview and go in with the intention of getting the role. I do my research of the location on the day in terms of whether I like the place (General area and the client) or not. I know I can google a lot of stuff, but I am a believer of seeing is believing in a lot of things.

If it turns out that the commute or the hotel costs are too high, then it is a case of either negotiate, walk away or bite the bullet and take the role, especially if I think the role adds value to my CV, but this is dependant on how I get on with the people interviewing me.

I found out from someone I am working with at current clientco that there is a free bus service from the station to the client site, which is a bonus, and helps towards keeping my costs down.

There's more to it than what I am saying on here, but the above is just some of the things I prefer to find out on the day.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Interview at 4pm, they might all have gone home by the time he finishes including the agent.
    Or just be pig sick of the sight of contractors trying to blag a role, so won't care.

Get in early and set the standard that others can't beat.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Is that like a Merit Badge? I remember getting plenty of those in Primary School.....
    Just like that but this one has 2 golden arches on it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

You either want the role or you don't, you're either offered the role or not. Hmmm, how many combinations does that make?

Oi Fitzy, draw us up a truth table, will you?

Truth Table Generator
    Interview at 4pm, they might all have gone home by the time he finishes including the agent.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'd have all that stuff worked out before I attended the interview.
    WHS.

I need to know in advance about whether I want to be there and what premium I put on working in a particular location. Once I know that, then I can factor that into whether I'm interested in the role or not, really. Once I know if I'm interested or not fussed, I can determine how hard I need to try at the interview.

Normally, I know roughly how much it will cost to be in a location before the CV has even gone into the client - how else can you price yourself accurately without knowing what the costs might be??

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You need time to think about it??? Are you a woman?
    Yes I need to think about it. And no I am not a woman. And if your next question is am I a cross-dresser or a bedwetter, I'll neg rep you.

There's a few things to consider. I don't always take what is given to me on a plate.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I didn't say I was going to give them War & Peace.

I need time to digest what happened in the interview followed by feedback and for them to come back and say Yes or No.
    You need time to think about it??? Are you a woman?

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied

PPPPPPP.
    Good for you. I prefer to do that on the day of the interview, especially if the location isn't near to where I live.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I take it you aren't an Analyst of any kind then?

I like to have time to reflect on whether I like the place or not (And I am not just thinking of the client site). I need to determine whether the area I am going to has good public transport from the train station to the client site and whether I need to stay in a B&B / Hotel during the day. I also need to make an educated guess as to whether I think the area is safe or not. I need to work out how much I need to spend on transport per week. How much I need to spend on subsistence and hotel costs, if required. If I get offered the role, I like to have as much information as possible to make an informed decision.

Whilst I am keen to be in work, I don't make rash decisions without giving it thought.

PPPPPPP.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Remember it takes at least 6 months to get your first star. You may need to do an apprenticeship.

Good luck
    Is that like a Merit Badge? I remember getting plenty of those in Primary School.....

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    And how much.
    The client is offering £120 a day more than my current client.

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    Thanks both. This is a F2F interview in Newbury. I'll let you guess who it is.
    u going for the tax dodgers?

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied

You either want the role or you don't, you're either offered the role or not. Hmmm, how many combinations does that make?

Oi Fitzy, draw us up a truth table, will you?

Truth Table Generator
    I take it you aren't an Analyst of any kind then?

I like to have time to reflect on whether I like the place or not (And I am not just thinking of the client site). I need to determine whether the area I am going to has good public transport from the train station to the client site and whether I need to stay in a B&B / Hotel during the day. I also need to make an educated guess as to whether I think the area is safe or not. I need to work out how much I need to spend on transport per week. How much I need to spend on subsistence and hotel costs, if required. If I get offered the role, I like to have as much information as possible to make an informed decision.

Whilst I am keen to be in work, I don't make rash decisions without giving it thought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X