• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Grand National

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Grand National"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    FWIW: Claims Five: Why does a broken leg mean the end for a horse? | Chris Cook | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BBC
    The RSPCA described the deaths as "totally unacceptable" and called for "an urgent examination" of the race.
    That makes it sound like a horse being put down is unusual in some way.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    You need to read up on why horses are put down when they break a leg.

I'm not being deliberately provacative here, there are real and genuine reasons why this happens.
    OK I'll admit my opinion is based on/skewed by my experience and education. For example - a horse had a chronic abcess in hoof, op to fix (not guaranteed) costs £3k, horse is worth £2k. Lovely horse dies in her stable. She doesn't know whats coming and dies peacefully, so I do understand it's also about economics. There are also genuine welfare reasons why a horse with a broken leg needs to be put down as I referred to in my post. I was trained to run an equine business though, so my opinion will be biased towards the economics rather than the 'save the horse at all costs'.
    One of my more 'interesting' trips was to the equine hospital at Lambourne. Fookin ma-hoo-ssive operating table. Owners who loved/valued their horses and paying a large fortune to save them.

I'm still sad about the National deaths. Horses take a risk every time they go out in the field or on a ride/schooling session (they break legs messing about in the field FFS) but it seems to me the balance between 'job-related' risk and putting them in danger is wrong in the case of the National.

Deaths do occur in other horse sports (I've seen a few, sadly) but not to such a degree as NH racing. We really do need to review what's going on here.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    According to Pete was the one I had a flutter on. Makes me a bit sad that does.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Its a tragedy when animal is put down, I bet the owners, trainers, stable hands and all those involved in the looking after of these animals are heartbroken at their death, its not just a financial loss to them.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The horses are bred purely for racing, if they didn't race they wouldn't exist. The number of horses that are treated well in the racing community compared to those who are put down after an accident is minimal compared to the number of "non racing" horses that suffer horrible mistreatment at the hand of their owners.
    WSMS

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    The horses are bred purely for racing, if they didn't race they wouldn't exist. The number of horses that are treated well in the racing community compared to those who are put down after an accident is minimal compared to the number of "non racing" horses that suffer horrible mistreatment at the hand of their owners.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Sad to see the 2 deaths; the owners will be gutted.

Lowering the fences has encouraged the horses to go faster, therefore IMO the fences should be put back to their original size, maybe decrease the number of runners and water the ground heavily to try and decrease the speed of the horses. A combination of speed and ground conditions make it dangerous for the horses.
    Last edited by oscarose; 15 April 2012, 12:21.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I never bet on the national, for the simple reason that horses die in it.
    WSS

I also don't eat Mcdonalds because it has dead horses in it.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Yep, accepting that in horse racing, horses will occasionally have to be put down following a fall is one thing. Having one race where horses are killed every year is not acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Make a point Zips and stand by it ffs.

My last national I ever bet in.
    I never bet on the national, for the simple reason that horses die in it.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I know I'll be accused of being a bedwetter but I don't find that funny. Two horses dead (they don't shoot them any more btw). In case anyone hasn't realised - I love horses and - yes - I am aware of the arguments around horse sports and risk. I just can't bear to see them die when they really don't need to.

But wasn't the winner a beaut? I love grey horses
    You need to read up on why horses are put down when they break a leg.

I'm not being deliberately provacative here, there are real and genuine reasons why this happens.

Btw, my Mother has a couple of horses, one of which is a retired race horse that was going to be destroyed because it has "soft feet". If you folk who like horses feel like giving some money to charity, HAPPA is as good a cause as any.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    No it's an overdose of barbiturates these days.
    You don't have to put down a horse with a fractured leg (valuable atallions have been saved) but you can't restrict their movement (obviously depends on the severity of the fracture) for too long. A horse's digestive system is driven by them being able to move around and you can't tell a horse to just stand still for two months - they'll probably get colic and being running/herd animals they wouldn't understand it snyway..
    The reason they get put down is largely pragmatic(cost to treat/discomfort for the horse/insurance) but I still hate to see it.
    I love horses and have never had one break down under me yet but accept its a risk (and would deal with it if I had to). The problem I have with the National is that it's a risk too far. Every year one/two horses die and - compared to other horse sports that's far too many.
    I'm very sad tonight but I do stll love the grey (my all-time fave horse was a 4-y-old bay mare though )
    we always pick a grey but this year we picked the wrong one - daughter chose Chicago Grey

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    They dont shoot them ? So do they let them suffer on the course ?

i always wonder why a horse should be put down with a fractured leg, surely something can be done regarding sorting that out
    No it's an overdose of barbiturates these days.
    You don't have to put down a horse with a fractured leg (valuable atallions have been saved) but you can't restrict their movement (obviously depends on the severity of the fracture) for too long. A horse's digestive system is driven by them being able to move around and you can't tell a horse to just stand still for two months - they'll probably get colic and being running/herd animals they wouldn't understand it snyway..
    The reason they get put down is largely pragmatic(cost to treat/discomfort for the horse/insurance) but I still hate to see it.
    I love horses and have never had one break down under me yet but accept its a risk (and would deal with it if I had to). The problem I have with the National is that it's a risk too far. Every year one/two horses die and - compared to other horse sports that's far too many.
    I'm very sad tonight but I do stll love the grey (my all-time fave horse was a 4-y-old bay mare though )

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I know I'll be accused of being a bedwetter but I don't find that funny. Two horses dead (they don't shoot them any more btw). In case anyone hasn't realised - I love horses and - yes - I am aware of the arguments around horse sports and risk. I just can't bear to see them die when they really don't need to.

But wasn't the winner a beaut? I love grey horses
    They dont shoot them ? So do they let them suffer on the course ?

i always wonder why a horse should be put down with a fractured leg, surely something can be done regarding sorting that out

Leave a comment:

Working...
X