• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grand National

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synchronised and According to Pete Die in Grand National

it's when you see those screens going up on the second time round & the riders have to avoid the fences - you know exactly what's going on in there.

I'm sure the horses have good lives whilst they're still competitive but I have to confess I have mixed feelings on this one.

Don't think I'll bother next year.

Comment

For a horse winning in race is not dieing there...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Well one of my horses was shot and I was excited until I realised the other was Neptune Equester not Neptune Collonges
        I know I'll be accused of being a bedwetter but I don't find that funny. Two horses dead (they don't shoot them any more btw). In case anyone hasn't realised - I love horses and - yes - I am aware of the arguments around horse sports and risk. I just can't bear to see them die when they really don't need to.

But wasn't the winner a beaut? I love grey horses
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          I know I'll be accused of being a bedwetter but I don't find that funny. Two horses dead (they don't shoot them any more btw).
          Is that so that bits of bullet dont end up in the pedigree chum?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            Is that so that bits of bullet dont end up in the pedigree chum?
            Probably.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I know I'll be accused of being a bedwetter but I don't find that funny. Two horses dead (they don't shoot them any more btw). In case anyone hasn't realised - I love horses and - yes - I am aware of the arguments around horse sports and risk. I just can't bear to see them die when they really don't need to.

Make a point Zips and stand by it ffs.

My last national I ever bet in.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

They dont shoot them ? So do they let them suffer on the course ?

i always wonder why a horse should be put down with a fractured leg, surely something can be done regarding sorting that out

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  They dont shoot them ? So do they let them suffer on the course ?

i always wonder why a horse should be put down with a fractured leg, surely something can be done regarding sorting that out
                  No it's an overdose of barbiturates these days.
                  You don't have to put down a horse with a fractured leg (valuable atallions have been saved) but you can't restrict their movement (obviously depends on the severity of the fracture) for too long. A horse's digestive system is driven by them being able to move around and you can't tell a horse to just stand still for two months - they'll probably get colic and being running/herd animals they wouldn't understand it snyway..
                  The reason they get put down is largely pragmatic(cost to treat/discomfort for the horse/insurance) but I still hate to see it.
                  I love horses and have never had one break down under me yet but accept its a risk (and would deal with it if I had to). The problem I have with the National is that it's a risk too far. Every year one/two horses die and - compared to other horse sports that's far too many.
                  I'm very sad tonight but I do stll love the grey (my all-time fave horse was a 4-y-old bay mare though )
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

No it's an overdose of barbiturates these days.
                    You don't have to put down a horse with a fractured leg (valuable atallions have been saved) but you can't restrict their movement (obviously depends on the severity of the fracture) for too long. A horse's digestive system is driven by them being able to move around and you can't tell a horse to just stand still for two months - they'll probably get colic and being running/herd animals they wouldn't understand it snyway..
                    The reason they get put down is largely pragmatic(cost to treat/discomfort for the horse/insurance) but I still hate to see it.
                    I love horses and have never had one break down under me yet but accept its a risk (and would deal with it if I had to). The problem I have with the National is that it's a risk too far. Every year one/two horses die and - compared to other horse sports that's far too many.
                    I'm very sad tonight but I do stll love the grey (my all-time fave horse was a 4-y-old bay mare though )
                    we always pick a grey but this year we picked the wrong one - daughter chose Chicago Grey

Comment

You need to read up on why horses are put down when they break a leg.

I'm not being deliberately provacative here, there are real and genuine reasons why this happens.

Btw, my Mother has a couple of horses, one of which is a retired race horse that was going to be destroyed because it has "soft feet". If you folk who like horses feel like giving some money to charity, HAPPA is as good a cause as any.

Comment

Working...
                      X