• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Golf Club Fees

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Golf Club Fees"

Collapse

• scooby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Its Rochdale the locals can afford it :

Wife-swap Lizzy insists: 'I'm a star' | Rochdale Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Shut up and claim!

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    True, the north is a tulip-hole, but I don't live too far from scooby actually ...
    I live in the toilet, you in the separate bathroom??

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    True, the north is a tulip-hole, but I don't live too far from scooby actually ...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    I'd laugh and tell them to **** off at that price. Ask them if it comes with nude female gold caddies? Or gold balls.

The cheaper clubs around my area charge £6-£15 per go or around £150pa on average.

The ones that host major tournaments or cater to elite golfers around here (the type of country club places) charge around £300pa with no joining fee or charge £25-£60 per round ...

I would never pay above £200pa, maybe £350pa down south for an ordinary course and would expect a championship one to be between £300-£500pa.
    Yes, but you live in a toilet.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    WTF??? Just had an email from my local club. Now bearing in mind I'm only looking at giving the game a go, and maybe taking it up later in the year, the membership fees are stupid!

£900pa + £500 joining fee.

Now taking in account this is Rochdale I live in, home of immigrants and unemployed, is it any wonder their membership numbers are down??/
    I'd laugh and tell them to **** off at that price. Ask them if it comes with nude female gold caddies? Or gold balls.

The cheaper clubs around my area charge £6-£15 per go or around £150pa on average.

The ones that host major tournaments or cater to elite golfers around here (the type of country club places) charge around £300pa with no joining fee or charge £25-£60 per round ...

I would never pay above £200pa, maybe £350pa down south for an ordinary course and would expect a championship one to be between £300-£500pa.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    Nothing says "I'm a dullard" more than joining a Golf Club

Please shoot me when the time comes when I drive past American Golf and say "Nice Pringle jumper" ...

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    If that is Rochdale Gof Club then times are hard - it used to have a 7 year waiting list and loads joined another club up the road while they waited to be deemed fit to join.
    It also used to have a men-only entrance at the front !!
    It had a convient fire the other year, and the club house has been rebuilt...

You talking about the club at Heap Bridge area (North Manchester?)

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Surely there's a public course nearby. If you want to give the game a go, then there's no point going into a golf club, you need to learn how to play first. It's normal for Saturday to be reserved for competitions and you need a handicap. If you're a bad player you'll be constantly having to let everyone through which isn't much fun, you'll be spending most of your time looking for golf balls and watching good players walk past you "in humiliation" ....

Nah just go to the driving range and play on the public courses where people don't mind you taking your time. Cost you a fraction of the private fees. A private golf club is really for keen good amateurs who want to play regularly in competitions on a decent course.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    If that is Rochdale Gof Club then times are hard - it used to have a 7 year waiting list and loads joined another club up the road while they waited to be deemed fit to join.
    It also used to have a men-only entrance at the front !!

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    It's to keep the riff raff out - seems it works....
    Was thinking of walking up later today (it's about 1/2 mile) in my trackies and hoodie!! I bet they wouldnt let me through the door!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    It's to keep the riff raff out - seems it works....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    WTF??? Just had an email from my local club. Now bearing in mind I'm only looking at giving the game a go, and maybe taking it up later in the year, the membership fees are stupid!

Now taking in account this is Rochdale I live in, home of immigrants and unemployed, is it any wonder their membership numbers are down??/
    Cheaper to fly out to Spain and play

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

That's not bad, a tad cheaper than the two clubs closest to me in Bucks.

There's a club a few miles away in Ashridge Forest that charges a fair bit more, and I was at Moor Park last year where I was told annual membership is well over £2000 (and that might not even be 7-day).

Maintaning a golf course is not cheap, but £900 spread over (say) a round a week is under 20 quid a go, very reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Playing in the SE, my club was 1500 a year. Struggled to get a game a week, which is a lot of dosh. If you are starting to give the game a go, use a local par 3 9 hole, which would be about a tenner a pop, and see if you can control a ball with your clubs first.

Its not for everyone.

If you find you can, and like playing, then's the time to think about joining a club.

If you simply must, tell them the joining fee's a showstopper and most will get rid of it, mine did.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X