• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First contract - client won't renew"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Yeadon as in Leeds/Bradford Airport?
    Is there another Yeadon?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Yeadon as in Leeds/Bradford Airport?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    One of the reasons I enjoy contracting is that I'm never quite sure where I'll be in a couple of months - I mean, Yeadon*? Seriously?

(*Lovely place with great, friendly locals BTW )
    Nice nearby countryside for summer evening jaunts, too.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Half the fun of contracting is you get to work at many different places. Learn new technologies and gain valuable experience faster, don't get bogged down in the politics, make loads of connections/mates, etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    I rocked up for my first contract fully expecting to be there no more than 3 months. That turned into 3 years, then another 18 months in another office for the same client. Not too shabby eh?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Same. I've been in to a place for a month / three
    monther and been extended up to 2 years (3 times now). Result.

Also started on a six
    monther and been terminated after four days. Bastards.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Swings and roundabouts...

My 1 month contract turned into 2 years despite the manager stating it would only be a month at the start.
    I was asked in to do 3 weeks of work and ended at clientco for 5 months. AS GJ says swings and roundabouts.

As Cojak says, don't expect to go in to a contract and stay put, in the current climate this doesn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by rdglad View Post
    My current contract finishes after a month. Have been told by manager that they won't renew as they have decide to offshore my work to cut the cost.

Was permanent for last 11 years. This was my first contract (6 months) and now I find it hard to believe I will have to start all over again.

What do you suggest to first time contractor to secure new contractor and do in between? I have already updated my CV and started circulating. I am on Linkedin and connected with all those consultants who have contacted me last 3-4 years.

Many thanks.
    This is a fact of life as a contractor.

I'm being as gentle as I can here, but if you're devastated at the idea of no renewal I would suggest that you're hoping for a permie lifestyle with contractor pay. I would go back to being a permie if you feel it that hard; the money won't be worth the stress for you.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Swings and roundabouts...

My 1 month contract turned into 2 years despite the manager stating it would only be a month at the start.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Pace?
    No, it was a small marketing agency - the projects were for end clients like Asda Finance and Pizza Express, but my client company was less than thirty people, I think.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    WNS. I've had a 6 month gig end at 5 months when the client got taken over, but then again I've had a 3 month gig turn into 2 years of interesting and well-paid work. One of the reasons I enjoy contracting is that I'm never quite sure where I'll be in a couple of months - I mean, Yeadon*? Seriously?

Pace?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Always go into a contract expecting the unexpected, you could be there a month and they can it for whatever reason, keep your eye on the market and contact with your pimps.
    WNS. I've had a 6 month gig end at 5 months when the client got taken over, but then again I've had a 3 month gig turn into 2 years of interesting and well-paid work. One of the reasons I enjoy contracting is that I'm never quite sure where I'll be in a couple of months - I mean, Yeadon*? Seriously?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by rdglad View Post
    Was permanent for last 11 years. This was my first contract (6 months) and now I find it hard to believe I will have to start all over again.
    How long were you expecting your first contract to last? And why not sign a contract for that length of time? And of course the client show not be able to give notice?

Anyway you will now be able to clear the decks and move on. Hopefully you will get something much better. Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    My current contract was also via LinkedIn. I would recomend you keep your profile updated (Skills/Expereince) and try to ensure your network is extensive
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Got my last 2 contracts via LinkedIn so worth persevering with.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Onwards and upwards. Offshoring is a common end to a contract, that and the need to cut costs. As other posters have said, don't tell the agents the clients didn't renew your contract, your role was offshored.

Always go into a contract expecting the unexpected, you could be there a month and they can it for whatever reason, keep your eye on the market and contact with your pimps.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X