• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: £100K+ permie job

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£100K+ permie job"

Collapse

• beaker
    replied
    WTF... now I've got client co wanting to make me an offer that's worth my while (I've turned them down once before)

Thanks for the advice all - let the games begin

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    Interesting. I went to my current mortgage lender (Halifax) the other week as my fix term deal is ending and they say the way they work it out for IT contractors is - current day rate x 365 x 5 ... that's way more than I would ever want to borrow! All they needed was a copy of LTd. company accounts from last year apparently.

What are these banks smoking?
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That's good.

Barclays is something like 'Yep, you put £200k and we'll lend you £10k & that'll cost you£5k arrangement'
    Maybe the bank knows more about the quality of the output from redgiant and MarillionFan than we do and they make a correct risk assessment and base their loan offers on it.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Don't know why I quit to be honest.
    Because it was just a dream and none of it really happened ?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    Interesting. I went to my current mortgage lender (Halifax) the other week as my fix term deal is ending and they say the way they work it out for IT contractors is - current day rate x 365 x 5 ... that's way more than I would ever want to borrow! All they needed was a copy of LTd. company accounts from last year apparently.

That's good.

Barclays is something like 'Yep, you put £200k and we'll lend you £10k & that'll cost you£5k arrangement'

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    TBH, that in itself should be driver. The stupid ass thing with contracting is, for a mortgage you need 3 years worth of accounts and the figure you use is your profit. So if you invoiced £100k for the year the 'profit' on your accounts will be £80k before Corporation tax. The mortgage companies take that off as well , so you're starting at a 60k figure for multiples.

For 'Perm' they use the whole £100k! Fricking stoopid.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Do we need a "count the contractors" thread - to see if we reach double digits
    I think we need a poll to find out if there is scope for www.permieuk.com

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Do we need a "count the contractors" thread - to see if we reach double digits

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    Theyre dropping like flies.

At this rate NLUK is going to go perm.
    Do you think he's cut out for permi though?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Are you really (really) sure he isn't already?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Weird... got a couple of people hunting me down for £100K+bens permie roles. Same sort of thing I do now - Programme Management & Business Development. Will be lucky to gross that this year through my co.

Never worked a permie job in the UK before... what would I be looking at after tax - £5000 p/m?

What other perks should I be trying to negotiate? I don't have a car or many work expenses. Pension contributions?
    <faints>

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    If you're young and single carry on contracting, not for the money but for the fun.
    If you're older, have a family, and don't want to travel take the permie job.
    Make sure you get the best package you can: largest contributory pension, 30 days holiday etc etc.

But once a contractor always a contractor, some days you will yearn for contrcating again.
    SAS stop going off topic

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    If you're young and single carry on contracting, not for the money but for the fun.
    If you're older, have a family, and don't want to travel take the permie job.
    Make sure you get the best package you can: largest contributory pension, 30 days holiday etc etc.

But once a contractor always a contractor, some days you will yearn for contrcating again.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Well at least this thread made it to page 2 before descending into BJs...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Paula dear, any bird with a slurpy gob knows it's fellate

not fallate

Leave a comment:

Working...
X