• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Why do cats purr?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why do cats purr?"

Collapse

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Why was she waking you up?

My cat knows that if he wakes us up during the night he's going out. Doesn't matter what else he wants, or how cute he tries to act, the only place I'm taking him to is the front door.
    It took a couple of months but it did reduce the frequency of the nocturnal requests
    Not sure why she does it, she was ok for a few weeks then it kicked in, she just wants to be out most of the time. I dont have a cat flap though only reason I dont want them bringing dead stuff in. I think she is a bit wild / ferial, its the most challenging cat Ive ever come across, if anyone comes round the house and the cat is in I have to tell them to keep away from her as she is so unpredictable and dangerous.

The wierd thing is the other cat is this cats sister, the other cat is totally different personality, sleeps pretty much all the time and only tries to get in the bedroom when it hears the alarm going off in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    It's amazing the number of people who have cats. I even remember reading somewhere that the Pope was a cat-holic

omg , it hurts.

I suppose Ian Paisley is a proddy dog

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    It's amazing the number of people who have cats. I even remember reading somewhere that the Pope was a cat-holic

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Ours waits until I'm just ready to leave my nice warm bed, then jumps up just before I do, to tempt me to stroke her and fall back to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    A cat instinctively knows when it's "owner" is going to wake up. Then wakes them 10 minutes earlier.
    Ours seem to think that 2 hours beforehand is sufficient enough time to alert us that they need breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I thought the reason they purr was to indicate to you at what point was the best to ram a finger up it's arse then swing it around in the air singing 'Hi Ho Silver' at the top of your voice... I could be wrong of course.
    Well, that is why you purr.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I thought the reason they purr was to indicate to you at what point was the best to ram a finger up it's arse then swing it around in the air singing 'Hi Ho Silver' at the top of your voice... I could be wrong of course.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    one of them wakes us up at 4am most nights
    Why was she waking you up?

My cat knows that if he wakes us up during the night he's going out. Doesn't matter what else he wants, or how cute he tries to act, the only place I'm taking him to is the front door.
    It took a couple of months but it did reduce the frequency of the nocturnal requests

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Evil things cats.
    Indeed.

Best place for a cat is in a sizzling hot steel wok with some galangal, naga chilli, palm sugar, fish sauce, lemon grass, garlic, lime leaves and some coconut milk.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    I used to like cats we had one at home for 17 years when I was growing up it was cool cat no hassle it was male more chilled.

GF moved in 3 months ago brought her 2 female cats with and now I bloody hate them, one of them wakes us up at 4am most nights so we started putting her out at night only for her to then manage to climb up to the bedroom window and start meowing to come in, not had a good nights sleep for weeks now. But what goes around comes around when I come in from work and find this cat a sleep on the bed I wake the bastard up and make it get up, probably a bit cruel but now she knows how it feels.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    some cats purr when the are happy, some purr when they are distressed. Scientists have proven that a cat has a more developed language than the average 7 year old.
    they dont actually have a language, but they communicate well without it. They dont actually communicate, but they let each other know whats going on

hang on.

Fck..Brewster wants me to put tinker tailor soldier spy on again, because she 'fell asleep' and missed the ending

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If cat's didn't look nice and making a pleasing noise when stroked, we'd realise what evil minded bastards they all are. That's why I like them, anyway.

A cat instinctively knows when it's "owner" is going to wake up. Then wakes them 10 minutes earlier.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    When a cat purrs it may sound like the cat is happy.

But this is impossible as the only emotion a cat feels is contempt.
    They do a lot of things that can be mistaken for love - curling up with you on the sofa/bed (you're warm). However that's not much different from many people

How to pet a kitty - The Oatmeal

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    When a cat purrs it may sound like the cat is happy.

But this is impossible as the only emotion a cat feels is contempt.
    Contempt and happiness are not mutually exclusive, particularly for a cat.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
    I have 5 cats at home and two big dogs.....the cats are definitely in charge and I'm shattereed trying to keep up with all their demands
    You never own a cat, it owns you!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X