• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I have been asked to vacate the premises"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Hopelessly Pathetic?
    Might be...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Just you?

Sounds like the meeting is to discuss you.
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Thought had crossed my mind. Project is about a year behind schedule, I'm the only contractor == scapegoat.
    Are you taking lessons from SY01?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Heard an uncomfortable rumor that a very large two letter company sent a load of contractors home for a few weeks the other day... Might only be that project but still not good news. Hope its a holiday rather than termination.
    Hopelessly Pathetic?
    Last edited by Sysman; 9 February 2012, 13:01.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Why would they want everybody to vacate the premises for an announcement of head office relocation ?
    They just wanted me out as they were making the announcement to all the different departments at the same time and needed our project room. It impacts the permies because there will likely be redundancies for those unable/unwilling/not needed for the relocation, although this was not discussed.

As a contractor, easy come easy go I guess. Current contract lasts until August, as always will plan for an early exit.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Why would they want everybody to vacate the premises for an announcement of head office relocation ?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't worry it wont be paid for by the client.

Certainly HP have a reputation for exercising their LACK of MOO by telling contractors to go away for a few weeks at a time, and in my opinion makes perfect sense.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You seem to have a few contracts a year. Why no extensions? Is it because your incompetence is exposed early?
    When I was a contractor I got regularly created extra work and failed to pass knowledge on so no one could let me go.

HTH.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Did the same on a contract last year.
    Prepared a report for the owner of the project, turns out he had no idea about the way things were. You'll be amazed how much permie managers blag their way to top. Eventually the slip.
    You seem to have a few contracts a year. Why no extensions? Is it because your incompetence is exposed early?
    When I was a contractor I got regular extensions and rate rises because no one wanted to let me go.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Head office is moving to Hong Kong. Affects the permies more than me I guess.

I, for one, welcome our new chinese overlords.

Hopefully there are contract opportunities with the transition.
    I wouldn't mind a 12 monther in Hong Kong. Whats the gig? (and rate)

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Nowt to do with me or the project

Head office is moving to Hong Kong. Affects the permies more than me I guess.

I, for one, welcome our new chinese overlords.

Hopefully there are contract opportunities with the transition.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I walked away from my contract on Monday. The project had died on it's arse and they wanted me to work on BAU.

Contractors can do that you know
    Quitter! Are you sure you are cut out for contracting?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I walked away from my contract on Monday. The project had died on it's arse and they wanted me to work on BAU.

Did the same on a contract last year.

Prepared a report for the owner of the project, turns out he had no idea about the way things were. You'll be amazed how much permie managers blag their way to top. Eventually the slip.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Thought had crossed my mind. Project is about a year behind schedule, I'm the only contractor == scapegoat.
    Been there before. The last hiding place for an incompetent permie manager, blame the experts!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Good luck

Heard an uncomfortable rumor that a very large two letter company sent a load of contractors home for a few weeks the other day... Might only be that project but still not good news. Hope its a holiday rather than termination.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X