• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A warning to freelancers and the self-employed everywhere - MoneySavingExpert article"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    She is a Thespian, they have an IR35 get out of jail free card with Hector.

The actors union did a deal years ago.

If only her employer had given her some tax advice. Now they will have to pay her tax if HMRC have any sense. By employing her without the insulation of a Ltd they are still responsible.

Bet HMRC bottle it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And you're an arrogant arse.
    Phone call for a Mr. Kettle.

Paging Mr Kettle.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    That statement's so dumb it takes your breath away.
    And you're an arrogant arse. Try taking a walk in the real world rather than in your clique of university-educated middle-class friends.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by amoeba View Post
    Is it that easy though - doesnt going bankrupt mean you cant run a company for X years and cant even get a bank account for a year or so?
    There are some complications, but fewer than you'd think. You can have a bank account immediately.

The disadvantages are outweighed by the £174k advantage!!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    With payments on account and how far in arrears you pay CT, it's easy to get confused. That's why we have accountants.
    1. the self employed don't do payments on account, at least not until 18 months or so after they have started
    2. the self employed don't pay corporation tax

Leave a comment:

• amoeba
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Who's the bozo? She had and spent £174k of tax money. Now she's bankrupt, the debt vanishes. I doubt she'll be out of work going forward, so life continues as before.

Nice!
    Is it that easy though - doesnt going bankrupt mean you cant run a company for X years and cant even get a bank account for a year or so?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    I see this a corporate darwinism....Only the ones who have a bit of common sense survive....I find it laughable that people just jump in head first without doing any research....Bozos.
    Who's the bozo? She had and spent £174k of tax money. Now she's bankrupt, the debt vanishes. I doubt she'll be out of work going forward, so life continues as before.

Nice!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    load of crap, both should know that they have to pay tax.
    Does it say people don't know they have to pay tax? Or that they fail to account for how much tax and set the money aside.

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    That does not make it any less dumb.
    Wow, headline news: people on average aren't hugely smart. What a revelation. Keep them coming... I can never remember does pizza make you thin or fat?

The gov wouldn't have run that "tax doesn't have to be taxing" campaign if people didn't think it was.

With payments on account and how far in arrears you pay CT, it's easy to get confused. That's why we have accountants. I hope all the overly superior posters in this thread do their own accounts, it's so simple that paying someone would be a waste of money.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Er, don't the deductions on your permie payslip sort of give a slight hint that all the money isn't yours?
    Sort of. Then they hear other folks who work for themselves down the pub bragging about how little tax they paid and how much their accountant saved them, so think they'll get the same treatment.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Permies are insulated from tax by PAYE. They see money in the bank every month that's theirs to spend as they like.

I'll bet most of these people didn't give tax any thought at all.

Or thought that the tax fairy took care of that for them.
    I gather it happens to a lot of self employed people. The tax man will estimate earnings if books aren't done on time, and they will definitely over estimate. I went through this loop due to an unreliable accountant, and the tax man told me "Tough. Sue him for the tax you have overpaid."

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    In business I run 3 accounts, Current, CT, VAT and that works fine. Also have a personal income tax account that accrues money when I need to.

Even my 18 year old son uses one of my accounts in my name, that he pays money into for running his car, you know insurance, tax, 1 service a year.

Means that he can't touch the money unless I let him. Works well, and has been the case for my older kids in the past.

May not be tax, but means a smoother ride when the expenses arise, same in principle.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 9 February 2012, 12:55.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I've changed my name by deed poll to pondlife consulting ltd. Therefore any money in the company account is mine.
    don't you just insist on cheques and then pay them straight into your personnal account?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    What's this tax stuff? Should I be putting money aside for it?
    I've changed my name by deed poll to pondlife consulting ltd. Therefore any money in the company account is mine.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Or thought that the tax fairy took care of that for them.
    Are you saying the tax fairy doesn't exist

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    What's this tax stuff? Should I be putting money aside for it?
    Don't worry - it's something to do with IR35 (Inland Revenue 35%) if you're not caught then you don't have to pay anything.

Oh if you're on the FRS (Free Random Spending-Money) then you can forget about VAT too

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X