• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 - Who's in and who's out?"

Collapse

• realityhack
    replied
    This thread needs a poll.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I'm most definitely outside IR35, because I'm an employee. Have I beaten the system?
    Sounds like it's beaten you

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I'm most definitely outside IR35, because I'm an employee. Have I beaten the system?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Unless I'm very much mistaken that's 365 + 366 = 2 years and 1 day. Not much of a contractor obviously
    Plus, it's a continuation of his interim role, so will be over the two years.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Really?

What about the 2 year rule?
    What about it. Nothing stops you paying someone's travel costs from the company, even your own. It's just that the 24 month rule means you have to treat them as a BIK and pay your PAYE/NICs on them as earned income. Nobody has said Lester isn't doing exactly that.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    No need. Just 2 x 365 - 2012 is a leap year
    He's messed it up.

His two year contract runs from 1 February 2011 to 31 January 2013
    Unless I'm very much mistaken that's 365 + 366 = 2 years and 1 day. Not much of a contractor obviously

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    It's probably a 1 year 364 day contract. Not that I'm cynical
    No need. Just 2 x 365 - 2012 is a leap year

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Really?

What about the 2 year rule?
    It's probably a 1 year 364 day contract. Not that I'm cynical

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    That's buggered the expenses right from the start then.
    No it hasn't. They can pay him what they like. Whether or not he pays taxes on it is the interesting question... There's a lot of mis-informed bollocks being thrown around the press, I think we need to understand things a lot better than they do.

One point, though. At £900 a day plus expenses, he's costing HMG £400 a day less than I was last charged out at to them, and I wasn't the boss of the department.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Documents show the deal was signed off by David Willetts, the Universities minister, who said in a letter that it had been “agreed by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury” Danny Alexander.
    Which is no different from ClientCo simply stating in a contract that they do not view the relationship as a employer / employee relationship i.e. useless - HMRC can completely ignore it.

In reality though, HMRC are unlikely to go anywhere near it - unless you get some awkward inspector who doesn't like the fact that their kid has to pay higher tuition fees and they have to make higher pension contributions.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I would suggest the PCG or Shout99 wait a bit then say 'Put up or shut up'. If he is caught we want him done, if he isn't we need a get out of jail free card.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Hey, who are we to judge? He's on a 24 month contract and it all comes down to working practices, right? Right?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Wils View Post
    Hi all,

Excuse my naivety here, I have a question about the amount of contractors that are outside IR35. From what I understand of it, it sounds so difficult to be outside IR35 that most contractors must bye inside it?

Does anyone know (or hazard a guestimate) what the ratio of software developers that are inside IR35 is to those outside it?
    Hector.

You can spot a civil servant from the bad grammar and spelling mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Which bit of

Documents show the deal was signed off by David Willetts, the Universities minister, who said in a letter that it had been “agreed by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury” Danny Alexander.

Don't you understand?
    A letter saying he was IR35 exempt? Or that he could work through a Ltd? Does Chief Secretary to the Treasury include the power to overule HMRC in individual cases?

Leave a comment:

• amoeba
    replied
    [URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9054733/Chief-executive-of-Student-Loans-Company-allowed-to-avoid-40000-a-year-in-tax-by-Coalition.html"]
    This allows Mr Lester to pay corporation tax of 21 per cent
    Is that article really old, been 20% since 2011 hasnt it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X