• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Jail or Flogging

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jail or Flogging"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Whatever. 2/10.

MF: you were only in prison for a conjugal visit weren't you?
    Always just for a visit. Allowed home afterwards. Not sure I'd want to stay overnight.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Might have been the daily mail. Better than getting a sense of humour from the guardian.
    Whatever. 2/10.

MF: you were only in prison for a conjugal visit weren't you?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Both approaches I'd say. Most first time offenders are deterred by a caution, some young men do grow out of crime, rehab works for some addicts so I'd say there's nowt wrong with a soft approach for 1st timers who show willing or any who have really made an effort to reform.

It's the perpetual reooffenders who show no intent or ability to change their ways we should be harsh on. Those cost an enormous amount every year and influence others into crime. They say prison doesn't work but if other approaches don't work either, prison is the only option that protects other people. I think people greatly underestimate the effect of crime on the victims and the way it affects their lives, sometimes permanently.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Actually reading the Jeffery Archer diaries and would guess they are fairly factual.

It does seem that the prisons could be better run and there are serious problems within that need attention if recidivism is going to be reduced.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You've been to prison then, to know what it's like?
    Nope. Not been to a holiday camp either.
    I've been to both. There;'s more to do at a holiday camp, but prison is cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    I guess you read it in a reliable source like The Sun then.
    Might have been the daily mail. Better than getting a sense of humour from the guardian.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I guess you read it in a reliable source like The Sun then.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Nope. Not been to a holiday camp either.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    How about introducing flogging in prisons, to make them less like a holiday camp (or centre parcs if you get my drift).

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Watched 'Question time' and then 'Coppers' what slowly became clear to me was that much of the police time is spent dealing with substance abuse and if the alternative to prison was forced treatment then everything would be better.

I'm a fan of early stringent rehabilitation and subsequent offences are dealt with more harshly.

Flogging seems like revenge as it doesn't resolve the issue in most cases.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    How about introducing flogging in prisons, to make them less like a holiday camp (or centre parcs if you get my drift).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It would be better to bring back the cane for teenage children.
    Keep your fantasies to yourself.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It would be better to bring back the cane for teenage children.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Could put a lot of “ladies” out of business in the City, all those business men will just do some petty theft & opt for the flogging

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    started a topic Jail or Flogging

Jail or Flogging

Interestingly it gives criminals the choice between a custodial or flogging punishment
    Prisons impose tremendous costs, yet they're easily ignored. Criminals-- even low-level nonviolent offenders-- enter our dysfunctional criminal justice system and disappear into a morass that's safely hidden from public view. Our "tough on crime" political rhetoric offers us no way out, and prison reformers are too quickly dismissed as soft on criminals. Meanwhile, the taxpayer picks up the extraordinary and unnecessary bill.

In Defense of Flogging presents a solution both radical and simple: give criminals a choice between incarceration and the lash. Flogging is punishment: quick, cheap, and honest.

Working...
X