• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I buy a used Porsche 911 and drive through Europe?"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    well lads,

working from home today,

doing a half day and then

after lunch a mate is coming over and we're taking me pathfinder to Hintertux via Innsbruck, will be passing Munchen on the way too

meeting the advance party down there

I love driving across europe

I don't need a porsche, a big high 4x4 is plenty enough for comfortable travelling with loads of space for family and children and bags in the cavernous boot and unstoppable

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    YES! If you are even thinking it, do it. I am planning ten days around Switzerland, France and Italy in may half term in the lotus. Screw comforts, it's all about the driving pleasure. Come, join me!!! Already two porkers and myself coming! But expect to lose out on attention to the lotus,porkers are oh so common on the continent!!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The ideal car for this sort of thing is something like an Audi RS4.
    Indeed. If you stick to the motorways you don't need to worry about people not letting you out of T-junctions.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm the only one that can afford 10 x 997 Turbos and then have change for two of your bedsits.
    Only 5 if your wife decide to divorce you, but we both know that the only reason she doesn't do it is because you spent all your time posting tulip on CUK while she spends your money

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I'm the only one that can afford 10 x 997 Turbos and then have change for two of your bedsits.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
    I'm previewing the new 991 designation 911 next week. Couldn't get to an earlier one I was offered in PC Cambridge. Will report back.

Thus I declare minsky1 to be the only true contractor on this board - the rest are either delusional permies or walter mitty fantasists or successful business owners. There are also mods and an admin. Some of those groups may be present in more than one types listed above.

Leave a comment:

• minsky1
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    They are about to release new one - 911, so 997 is as good as old but I agree it looks like there is a good reason why it is easily 25k more than oldie 996.
    I'm previewing the new 991 designation 911 next week. Couldn't get to an earlier one I was offered in PC Cambridge. Will report back.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I bought 3 yesterday, sadly they can only be put on cars made in 2012.

I guess I might be getting 911 turbo 991 in 2020.

Signed 12 month rental on my flat today - hope THAT does not fall through

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Don't forget your private reg to hide the age. Only £455.

https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/...=455&plateid=0

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They are about to release new one - 911, so 997 is as good as old but I agree it looks like there is a good reason why it is easily 25k more than oldie 996.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Looks like 996 can be had for £25k but 997 is like £50k - there must be a reason for it surely.

Next time this year...
    997 is current car, 996 is old stylee. Rich people don't want to be seen in last years model.

997 looks fantastic. Modern, aggressive, much more like the 993.

996 looks a bit...boring...crap...it's them tulipty headlights for start.

996 Interior looks plain, old fashioned.

997 interior looks modern, very high quality.

That's where your extra £20K is going for a start.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The secret is to make sure you have freedom to move where you want when you want.
    If he gets divorce then he won't get 911, even a 1:30 model.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    I travel light. Let's say maybe 3-4 weeks across France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, wife in the front, 2 soft bags with a week of clothes in the back, no kids.
    I'd allow a bit more time to enjoy yourself. I would also suggest roughly planning a route but only booking hotels a day or two before arrival. Just driving from one place to another day after day gets boring quite quickly and doubly so for passengers, so you probably want to plan for no more than a couple of long legs a week and you also need to factor in that you might want to stop for a few days in a place to make the most of it. You can easily spend a week in and around the Berner Öberland for example, there are 3 or 4 mountain passes worth driving around Andermatt, as well as other stuff to see and do such as go up the Eiger and visit Bern itself. From there you can head down to Bellinzona & the lakes, loop back to take in the St Bernard & Stelvio passes, and then head to Venice or straight to Milan. From there you can head south and take in some great roads along the spine of Italy and visit Parma, Modena, Maranello, Bologna, Florence, Sienna & some great wine country and great food then either carry on down to Rome and beyond or head back up the coast via Pisa, Cinque Terra, Portofino, Genoa then across into France for the Cote d'Azur, Route Napoleon and Gorge Verdon. I reckon that is more like 3 months worth though.

Done right, a driving holiday is far more fun than staying in one place though. The secret is to make sure you have freedom to move where you want when you want.
    Last edited by doodab; 7 December 2011, 20:47.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    911 (996 or 997) Turbo is 4x4. How many more times?

It can do 0 - 62 mph in just over 3 seconds and 200 MPH.

Try that in your Audi.
    RS4 when the non-existent kids are too big to fit in the back of the 911

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    OK. I'd reckon something like an RS4* for winter, and leave the Porsche for summer. Left hookers of course.

* based on the experiences of a mate who has one. He arrived at a remote hotel in the Alps one very snowy night and they asked him if he'd come by the tractor they'd laid on for guests. They were most surprised that a car could make it that night.
    911 (996 or 997) Turbo is 4x4. How many more times?

It can do 0 - 62 mph in just over 3 seconds and 200 MPH.

Try that in your Audi.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X