• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I buy a used Porsche 911 and drive through Europe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Why not the 997? Too expensive? Just the C2S etc I mean.

And I presume you're taking the wife and kids too?
    Oh what's that you say, you're not lumbered with that kind of responsibility yet?!
    997 is a completely different car, brilliant in every respect. Gen2 997 a massive leap forward again. Gen1 cars can be had from about 25k upwards nowadays so you may find one in the price range mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      It might be fun on a twisty road but 90% of the journey will be dull. In a 993 it will also be fairly uncomfortable.
      Yep, thats true, though the rides are similar in comparison to when you have the dampers in sport mode on a 997 for example.... and the standard seats on my 993 are much more comfy than the ones in my 997 come to mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        And look like a dick, why not get a trailer as well? The whole point of doing it in a 911 is to (try) and look good, therefore you would just put enough clothing in the (front) boot, stay in decent hotels and buy things when you need them.

I would go for it, it doesn't need to be a Porsche but does need to be decent, in fact something a bit more cooler than a Porsche but never mind. I do this now and then in the Alpina (just as fast as a Porsche but more comfortable and a bit more space) and you'll get the thrills of bombing down German autobahns, twisty curving roads in the mountains, twisty curving up and down roads along the coast. Great fun, do it...
        WHS.

But having read now that Beaker is taking the missus () and putting mountain bikes on the roof () it sort of loses the "single bloke blasts round Europe in a 911 Turbo" and becomes "family horror trip in Europe".

If it's about mountain bikes and stuff, then buy a jeep or a landy.

Comment

I'd go for something reasonably priced with:

- plenty of miles (i.e. used regularly which keeps things lubricated and more reliable, plus highish miles means it's spent more time on the road and less time at the dealers )

- warranty (if 3rd party make sure it's not by a company that puts every problem down to wear and tear ) that allows for repairs in foreigner land

- international breakdown cover (AA/RAC may include continental cover for a short trip or for a bit of extra money)
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

This has Griswold Family Vacation written all over it.

Comment

The ideal car for this sort of thing is something like an Audi RS4.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Or a Q7 with a roof box, bike rack and trailer.

Sorry, this thread has lost all interest.

Comment

Who said I was taking a bike? That would defeat point of a 911?

I travel light. Let's say maybe 3-4 weeks across France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, wife in the front, 2 soft bags with a week of clothes in the back, no kids.
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                    Who said I was taking a bike? That would defeat point of a 911?

I travel light. Let's say maybe 3-4 weeks across France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, wife in the front, 2 soft bags with a week of clothes in the back, no kids.
                    Right, then back to the 911. Has to be the 996 Turbo IMHO unless you can spring to a 997 Turbo.

Down through France to Monte Carlo, across to Italy, Col De Turini, cross the Alps into Germany, Autobahns, Nürburgring for some mentalism. Then it's up to you. Cross to Eastern Europe or head north through Denmark or head home via Netherlands and Belgium.

Comment

Thats a good choice or the BMW Alpina B3S Biturbo (also do a 4 wheel drive.) An X6M would be fun but really far too big to be chucking around mountain passes. Personally I would do it in something like a Wiesmann, looks very different and has the M5 engine in it
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X