• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I buy a used Porsche 911 and drive through Europe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    FFS Beaker, are you as permie as Wilmslow? Get a Fiesta then!
    What am I saying! Of course I have a spare 50K lying around here somewhere...
    Last edited by beaker; 7 December 2011, 19:16.
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Hire one for a month. Will probably cost the same as you lose in transaction charges and depreciation, unless you get a model that may go up in price in that time.

Anyway, if the trip isn't till next autumn, see what happens with the eurozone before then. If it goes tits up there may be loads of turboed up bs looking to flog their motors to pay the rent, boy.

Prestige cars may be as desirable as the euro by then, so bargains galore.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
        Yes, that's the whole point!

Wasn't planning to head off in the middle of winter - might wait until Autumn. Agree that a 4WD model would be the way to go (CS4 or Turbo). Enough room for the missus in the front, a mountain bike on top, some bags in the back and a couple of illegals underneath...
        OK. I'd reckon something like an RS4* for winter, and leave the Porsche for summer. Left hookers of course.

* based on the experiences of a mate who has one. He arrived at a remote hotel in the Alps one very snowy night and they asked him if he'd come by the tractor they'd laid on for guests. They were most surprised that a car could make it that night.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Get yourself a nice family car that eats Porsches
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Right, then back to the 911. Has to be the 996 Turbo IMHO unless you can spring to a 997 Turbo.

Down through France to Monte Carlo, across to Italy, Col De Turini, cross the Alps into Germany, Autobahns, Nürburgring for some mentalism. Then it's up to you. Cross to Eastern Europe or head north through Denmark or head home via Netherlands and Belgium.
            and get it nicked
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              OK. I'd reckon something like an RS4* for winter, and leave the Porsche for summer. Left hookers of course.

* based on the experiences of a mate who has one. He arrived at a remote hotel in the Alps one very snowy night and they asked him if he'd come by the tractor they'd laid on for guests. They were most surprised that a car could make it that night.
              911 (996 or 997) Turbo is 4x4. How many more times?

It can do 0 - 62 mph in just over 3 seconds and 200 MPH.

Try that in your Audi.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                911 (996 or 997) Turbo is 4x4. How many more times?

It can do 0 - 62 mph in just over 3 seconds and 200 MPH.

Try that in your Audi.
                RS4 when the non-existent kids are too big to fit in the back of the 911
                Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                  I travel light. Let's say maybe 3-4 weeks across France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, wife in the front, 2 soft bags with a week of clothes in the back, no kids.
                  I'd allow a bit more time to enjoy yourself. I would also suggest roughly planning a route but only booking hotels a day or two before arrival. Just driving from one place to another day after day gets boring quite quickly and doubly so for passengers, so you probably want to plan for no more than a couple of long legs a week and you also need to factor in that you might want to stop for a few days in a place to make the most of it. You can easily spend a week in and around the Berner Öberland for example, there are 3 or 4 mountain passes worth driving around Andermatt, as well as other stuff to see and do such as go up the Eiger and visit Bern itself. From there you can head down to Bellinzona & the lakes, loop back to take in the St Bernard & Stelvio passes, and then head to Venice or straight to Milan. From there you can head south and take in some great roads along the spine of Italy and visit Parma, Modena, Maranello, Bologna, Florence, Sienna & some great wine country and great food then either carry on down to Rome and beyond or head back up the coast via Pisa, Cinque Terra, Portofino, Genoa then across into France for the Cote d'Azur, Route Napoleon and Gorge Verdon. I reckon that is more like 3 months worth though.

Done right, a driving holiday is far more fun than staying in one place though. The secret is to make sure you have freedom to move where you want when you want.
                  Last edited by doodab; 7 December 2011, 20:47.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    The secret is to make sure you have freedom to move where you want when you want.
                    If he gets divorce then he won't get 911, even a 1:30 model.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Looks like 996 can be had for £25k but 997 is like £50k - there must be a reason for it surely.

Next time this year...
                      997 is current car, 996 is old stylee. Rich people don't want to be seen in last years model.

997 looks fantastic. Modern, aggressive, much more like the 993.

996 looks a bit...boring...crap...it's them tulipty headlights for start.

996 Interior looks plain, old fashioned.

997 interior looks modern, very high quality.

That's where your extra £20K is going for a start.

Comment

Working...
                      X