• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unrest in Egypt, should I go?"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The end of Sharm el-Sheikh? Islamist parties call for ban on Westerners drinking, wearing bikinis and mixed bathing on Egyptian beaches | Mail Online

Oh Dear

Never buy property in a Muslim country. It's for that reason I'd never be tempted by a villa in Turkey.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I would avoid the whole of that region at the moment, never know which place will erupt next.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Didn't you buy somewhere in SSH AP?

If not, I'd look elsewhere. If you did, then since it's not likely to get better in the immediate future you might as well see how bad it is.

But as Cojak mentioned, it's no longer on our list of places to visit other than in transit (as I quite fancy a cheeky week in Dahab over easter).

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Personally I think Egyptians are bastards. I base this purely on a buying trip there about 5 years ago when someone threatened to kill me and attacked me in the hotel lobby.

Bastards. Tell them MF says they're all bastards.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Your not in my league
    With spelling and punctuation like that were definately on the same team.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Is it safe to get in the water yet?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You're certainly not in the premier league.
    No, I find football very boring.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Your not in my league
    You're certainly not in the premier league.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Yep you should go. One less contractor means more contracts. Boomed.
    Your not in my league

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Never had a problem going to Egypt even during the last troubles.

Never had a problem going to Egypt even during the last troubles.

But currently don't feel too good about going next month.

Current polls show Muslim Brotherhood will get about half the vote. Extremist will get 25% and others will get the rest.

From my reading of the situation, the extremists will not gain anything by letting the election go ahead as they will lose. Even if they win the army would not let them take power. One strategy could be to try to take the army out now. They don't want people to have a normal life as they know they would not get into power in the future.

They will need to intensify the problems in Egypt, attacking tourists is one option for them. The Russians have already see that, and have stopped all tourist flights to Egypt last weekend.

Should I stay or should I go?
    Yep you should go. One less contractor means more contracts. Boomed.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    According to the clash "If I go there will be trouble. And if I stay it will be double". So you should go and be in half as much trouble as if you stayed.

HTH
    remind me to rep this later when I'm off the mobile and on a proper pc
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 21 November 2011, 17:24.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I'd only drive through Sharma to get the the diving live aboard tbh.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Certainly wouldn't be too worried about that... They happen all the time and are not reported

Significant world earthquakes in the last 200 days

and are common in the UK but no one raises an eyebrow.

Earthquakes around the British Isles in the last 50 days

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Now I can add EARTHQUAKES to my list, FFS

Youm7 English Edition | Earthquake hit 4.1 on Richter scale in Sharm el- Sheikh

Leave a comment:

• Hill Station Murthy
    replied
    I think there are two ways of looking at this.

The first is that these problems that are happening in Egypt are on the streets of Cairo which is hundreds of miles away form this resort where you will be staying and, as other posters have said, this resort is microcosm of western world where people come for decadence. These people that we see in Tahrir Square are not the demographic that one will encounter wandering the streets of Sharm.

The other way to look at this is that these people who protest in Cairo and these extremists may look at Sharm and think this is a microcosm of western decadence and decide to go there as it is soft target and inflict their anger on westerners there as they represent everything they are against.

But ultimately the decision must rest with you - there is no right or wrong answer when considering this. Personally I would go but I would keep my ear to the ground at all times when I was there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X