• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Here comes the forced 2 mins silence BS"

Collapse

• Stan
    replied
    I kept typing. I don't include "silence" to mean total lack of activity. A few people were still on conf calls talking. If the office were so quiet that my typing could be heard then I wouldn't even have typed.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Because when I was a lad, the sentiment was chiefly around remembering the folly of war (WW1) and to a lesser extent remembering the sacrifice of those who died fighting for freedom (WW2). The sentiment is now increasingly hitched towards supporting our boys fighting current wars, which in turn is related to a kind of political correctness whereby you have to support our boys fighting abroad.

The argument broadly goes that even if you think wars is Afghanistan and Iraq are /were illegal / immoral, you should still support those soldiers who are fighting them, which just seems nuts to me.

The Royal British Legion has a poppy poster this year with the strap-line something like, 'Standing shoulder to shoulder with those who serve'. I just don't want to do that.

But as I said, I respect those who feel differently as it's an event that people can mark with all kinds of sentiments, and it seems rather mean-spirited to spoil it for others.
    Not just mean spirited but bad mannered to boot. A bit like blowing rasberries during the playing of another country's National Anthem.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well they wanted you to do the other half of your working day.
    Ouch!! A direct hit I think........:

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    You mean the freedoms that all those soldiers died to protect?
    me! me! me! me! me! me! me! me! me! me! me! me!

All that matters is me.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    "With freedom comes responsibility". A line that far too many people choose to ignore.
    Responsibility exists in the absence of freedom and vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I was asked to stay two minutes later at the end of the day to make up for it.
    Well they wanted you to do the other half of your working day.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    Then don't bill for the two minutes and honour is satisfied!
    I was asked to stay two minutes later at the end of the day to make up for it.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    No I observed the silence, I would prefer to do it in my own time than forced into it during my working day.
    Then don't bill for the two minutes and honour is satisfied!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    "With freedom comes responsibility". A line that far too many people choose to ignore.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Speaking seriously, isn't that precisely what they were protecting?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Because when I was a lad, the sentiment was chiefly around remembering the folly of war (WW1) and to a lesser extent remembering the sacrifice of those who died fighting for freedom (WW2). The sentiment is now increasingly hitched towards supporting our boys fighting current wars, which in turn is related to a kind of political correctness whereby you have to support our boys fighting abroad.

The argument broadly goes that even if you think wars is Afghanistan and Iraq are /were illegal / immoral, you should still support those soldiers who are fighting them, which just seems nuts to me.

The Royal British Legion has a poppy poster this year with the strap-line something like, 'Standing shoulder to shoulder with those who serve'. I just don't want to do that.

But as I said, I respect those who feel differently as it's an event that people can mark with all kinds of sentiments, and it seems rather mean-spirited to spoil it for others.
    WHS. I do wear a poppy, but it doesn't feel like we've learned from the past.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I don't think they were protecting the right for people to be bumholes.
    Speaking seriously, isn't that precisely what they were protecting?

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Freedoms, yes. Infringing on the rights of others while exercising your "Hooman Rights" and acting like a chav, not so much.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
    Why do you dislike it?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I don't think they were protecting the right for people to be bumholes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X